Hello all and I’m struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxannekitty

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I’m Roxanne and newly diagnosed with Type 2 and I must admit I’m struggling. Having been ignorant to this condition (shame on me) I’m amazed horrified shocked at how dangerous it is. I woke up one morning a month ago my vision was impaired, I hurt all over - could barely walk had a fuzzy brain kept losing my balance and a shed load more symptoms. My husband had just passed away and it all came out. I had been his 24 hour carer for years and neglected myself or just ignored my symptoms. I got an emergency appointment with the GP a million blood tests later (ongoing) and here I am with type 2. What frightens me the most is the deterioration in my vision and what I really struggle with - as silly as it may sound - is pricking my fingers for the glucose test. I hate doing and it blooming hurts. I can’t afford one of those new fandangled implements but my poor fingers are bruised battered and painful. That’s my rant over, sorry. Nice to meet you all.

Firstly Roxanne I am pleased that you have found this forum. A place with plenty of experience to tap into.

You are most worried about your sight deterioration. Once you get you glucose levels back on track this should improve. So it is in your hands and there will be lots of tips from others on here.

Stick with the finger pricking if you can. Where do you finger prick. Most of the machines have settings so you can reduce the depth of the needle at each test. We all set it as low as we can. Have a look at your pricker and see what changes you can make.

It is important to use the side of each finger, but not too bear the nail bed. Also use different fingers for each consecutive test. This gives fingers a rest for a while.

Keep coming back with any questions.

Welcome to the forum, I am sorry for your loss, it must be a big change in your life after the commitment of caring 24/7.
The problems with eyesight as well as thirst and frequent loo visits are what leads to a diagnosis but once you reduce your blood glucose level all those symptoms should improve.
As far a finger pricking is concerned, it should be relatively painless if you get your technique right. The lancing devices usually have several settings so set it to the minimum. The lancets are very thin and you only need a very small drop of blood for applying to the strip. The best place is just to the side of the pad at the end of your finger, making sure your hands are warm and if needed massage your finger towards the end before pricking. then there should be no need to squeeze.
If you can find out what your HbA1C is that has given you the diagnosis that will indicate how much work you will need to do regarding your diet. Increasing exercise also helps, brisk walking is good.
Have you been given any medication, it looks as if you have been lucky in being prescribed a blood glucose monitor, many who are Type 2 have to self fund unless they are on certain medication.
Have a look at this link as it might explain what dietary changes would be a good idea, it is a low carbohydrate approach many have found successful at reducing blood glucose. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

The lancet should not hurt - did you get an advice leaflet to show the adjustment of depth and where to place it?
Once you get your diet sorted out - assuming you'll be low carbing, then it should not be necessary to do many tests - if any, and a lot of things will improve over time as things recover.
If your levels have been high, though reducing carbs should be done gradually and that ought to help your eyes adjust back to what they ought to be.

Welcome to the forum @Roxannekitty

Sincere condolences for your loss. It’s a big change, and will take some time to adjust and process your grief. I can thoroughly recommend Cruse, the national bereavement charity who can offer sessions of counselling free of charge, which I found very helpful after my wife died.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Visual changes are not uncommon, but the pain you mention, and balance issues aren’t usually mentioned by new members here. Hope the extra blood checks you are having get to the bottom of things for you 🙂

Firstly Roxanne I am pleased that you have found this forum. A place with plenty of experience to tap into.

You are most worried about your sight deterioration. Once you get you glucose levels back on track this should improve. So it is in your hands and there will be lots of tips from others on here.

Stick with the finger pricking if you can. Where do you finger prick. Most of the machines have settings so you can reduce the depth of the needle at each test. We all set it as low as we can. Have a look at your pricker and see what changes you can make.

It is important to use the side of each finger, but not too bear the nail bed. Also use different fingers for each consecutive test. This gives fingers a rest for a while.

Keep coming back with any questions.
Thank you for your reply. I didn’t know about the vision and medication it is something of a relief I must admit. I thought I was doomed to eventually going blind and was petrified. I think there is a lot more my Dr needs to tell me and I see her enough since my diagnosis it’s been constantly to the medical centre for blood test after blood test.
Rox

Welcome to the forum, I am sorry for your loss, it must be a big change in your life after the commitment of caring 24/7.
The problems with eyesight as well as thirst and frequent loo visits are what leads to a diagnosis but once you reduce your blood glucose level all those symptoms should improve.
As far a finger pricking is concerned, it should be relatively painless if you get your technique right. The lancing devices usually have several settings so set it to the minimum. The lancets are very thin and you only need a very small drop of blood for applying to the strip. The best place is just to the side of the pad at the end of your finger, making sure your hands are warm and if needed massage your finger towards the end before pricking. then there should be no need to squeeze.
If you can find out what your HbA1C is that has given you the diagnosis that will indicate how much work you will need to do regarding your diet. Increasing exercise also helps, brisk walking is good.
Have you been given any medication, it looks as if you have been lucky in being prescribed a blood glucose monitor, many who are Type 2 have to self fund unless they are on certain medication.
Have a look at this link as it might explain what dietary changes would be a good idea, it is a low carbohydrate approach many have found successful at reducing blood glucose. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Hi and thanks for replying. Sorry I have no idea what Hba1C is? I shall have to ask the Nurse next week when I go for my 10000000000th blood test in 4 weeks! Im three weeks on medication now which took a few attempts on different tablets but it seems to have settled now. Im persevering with the finger pricking but have to admit I hate doing it .

The lancet should not hurt - did you get an advice leaflet to show the adjustment of depth and where to place it?
Once you get your diet sorted out - assuming you'll be low carbing, then it should not be necessary to do many tests - if any, and a lot of things will improve over time as things recover.
If your levels have been high, though reducing carbs should be done gradually and that ought to help your eyes adjust back to what they ought to be.
Hi, thanks for replying. I hate the lances but i suppose they are a necessity at the moment. I have a leaflet which I follow and have adjusted accordingly - many times and the sides of my fingers are covered in bruises and holes!
Rox

Welcome to the forum @Roxannekitty

Sincere condolences for your loss. It’s a big change, and will take some time to adjust and process your grief. I can thoroughly recommend Cruse, the national bereavement charity who can offer sessions of counselling free of charge, which I found very helpful after my wife mention, and balance issues aren’t usually mentioned by new members here. Hope the extra blood checks you are having get to the bottom of things for you 🙂
Hi and thanks for replying and telling me about Cruse I’ll look them up - I think I need to. I’m on medication for the diabetes and still having tests for the other symptoms, I have a suspicion as to what it is but I’ll see what the Doctors find.
Rox

Hi, thanks for replying. I hate the lances but i suppose they are a necessity at the moment. I have a leaflet which I follow and have adjusted accordingly - many times and the sides of my fingers are covered in bruises and holes!
Rox
You need to prick on the fleshy part of the finger not right on the side. If you place your thumb onto the pad of the finger on the same hand and prick just to the side of that and then press gently with your thumb then you should get a drop of blood out. Make sure your hands are warm and massage the finger towards the tip before pricking.
I must admit I just hold the lancet in my hand and give a quick jab.

Hi Roxanne ( beautiful name) so sorry to hear of your grief and struggles. Just thought I’d chime in to say that your sight should improve (but prepare for it to maybe get a little worse before that happens) and to say that I also struggled with the finger pricks . Even on the lowest setting I would bruise and then my fingers became very painful. So I stopped using the device and just directly stabbed my fingers with the little needle as @Leadinglights does , haven’t had a problem since.

Hi Roxanne,
I’m newly diagnosed but like you still waiting for answers. I was admitted to hospital on Friday and took the weekend to stabilise me on a drip the whole time until I got to the ketones and bg levels point they would release me to self control. Never had any issues in the past and they think it’s type 1 but I’ve also had so many bloods taken and waiting for the results. My glucose levels were 27 tonight so I’m struggling despite eating carefully.
Feeling emotional and a little lost which is not like me. If you ever want to chat then I’m looking for people to talk to too and we can cry on each other’s shoulder.
My father in law passed away at the end of October and so we are also living with grief in our household. Sending love and a big hug x

Hi Roxanne,
I’m newly diagnosed but like you still waiting for answers. I was admitted to hospital on Friday and took the weekend to stabilise me on a drip the whole time until I got to the ketones and bg levels point they would release me to self control. Never had any issues in the past and they think it’s type 1 but I’ve also had so many bloods taken and waiting for the results. My glucose levels were 27 tonight so I’m struggling despite eating carefully.
Feeling emotional and a little lost which is not like me. If you ever want to chat then I’m looking for people to talk to too and we can cry on each other’s shoulder.
My father in law passed away at the end of October and so we are also living with grief in our household. Sending love and a big hug x
I see you are on line - just thought I'd say high.
I believe you are vegetarian.

Thank you. Yes, just wanted to stay up a bit to check my levels. I am indeed! I eat eggs and did have dairy but can see it’s going to take a while to suss my body and reactions to different foods out. Seems I react strongly to any food…

Thank you. Yes, just wanted to stay up a bit to check my levels. I am indeed! I eat eggs and did have dairy but can see it’s going to take a while to suss my body and reactions to different foods out. Seems I react strongly to any food…
Ha! - same here - I get good levels, but eat no more than 40 gm of carbs a day - cheese, eggs, full fat Greek yoghurt are always on my shopping list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back