Heat stroke and diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathBySpaghetti

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday, I had problems with my blood sugar, no matter how much insulin I gave myself. I thought the pump had messed up so I changed the whole set. It was working normally this morning, but I’ve just found out I have heat stroke which I had yesterday but didn’t realise until today.

Will heatstroke give me high blood sugar continuously? It’s my first heatstroke and my first with diabetes, so I’m not sure what to expect until I get better. What effects does it give diabetics?

Any stress on our body when we are injured or unwell will raise blood sugars.
This is our helpful liver dumping glucose to give us energy to fight the problem.
Heatstroke puts a stress on our body.

Sorry to hear you’ve been feeling unwell. I don’t know much about heat stroke I’m afraid. How did you come to realise that was what it was? We’re you seen by a Dr or did you identify it yourself?

How is your insulin? Is there a chance it might have got a bit too warm in the heat and begun to degrade?

Yesterday, I had problems with my blood sugar, no matter how much insulin I gave myself. I thought the pump had messed up so I changed the whole set. It was working normally this morning, but I’ve just found out I have heat stroke which I had yesterday but didn’t realise until today.
It was probably a naff cannula, I had the same problem yesterday.

Sorry to hear you’ve been feeling unwell. I don’t know much about heat stroke I’m afraid. How did you come to realise that was what it was? We’re you seen by a Dr or did you identify it yourself?

How is your insulin? Is there a chance it might have got a bit too warm in the heat and begun to degrade?
I noticed the symptoms myself. Dilated pupils, headache, nausea, not sweating when I should have been, cramping arms and legs. It’s my own fault really, I took off my hat in the sun on the Friday before.

We thought it might be the cannula or insulin but I’m not sure now. It could have been a number of things. I have told my DSN because I don’t want to get in trouble because they usually say it’s my fault my sugars are high.

Duff site is a pretty likely thought - especially if it began to resolve when you swapped your set for a fresh one 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back