Heat and sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaL76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi, just a quick word of warning about libre sensors. I’d applied a new one today and after a short journey in my grotesquely hot car (air con packed up) I got home to find my sensor hanging off ! It’s was proper stuck when I applied it, upset me early as much as the fake tan and sweat mixture that was running down my legs.

That's not good, mine is still attached like a limpet, but giving incredibly low readings, only have a few days left on it, so will be fingerpricking for bolusing.

One of mine got loosened by suncream. I’d dolloped the cream on thickly but it had obviously melted a bit and ran down to the Libre sensor. Luckily, it stayed on though.

Have you tried patches? I have some pretty ones but not used them yet.

Hopefully, Abbot will replace your sensor @EmmaL76

That's not good, mine is still attached like a limpet, but giving incredibly low readings, only have a few days left on it, so will be fingerpricking for bolusing.
Yes mine have been low for me too

One of mine got loosened by suncream. I’d dolloped the cream on thickly but it had obviously melted a bit and ran down to the Libre sensor. Luckily, it stayed on though.

Have you tried patches? I have some pretty ones but not used them yet.

Hopefully, Abbot will replace your sensor @EmmaL76
Yes I have got some patches, but most of them I find quite irritating and they don’t last the full two weeks so when I have to take them off I end up pulling at the sensor. I picked up my new sensors this morning and I’m always a couple of extra weeks in stock so it’s not a drama, just a waste x

Yes I have got some patches, but most of them I find quite irritating and they don’t last the full two weeks so when I have to take them off I end up pulling at the sensor. I picked up my new sensors this morning and I’m always a couple of extra weeks in stock so it’s not a drama, just a waste x

Sorry to go off at a bit of a tangent, but what brand patches do you have and do you cut a hole in them? Online mine looked like there was a hole in the centre to match the Libre hole, but actually there’s no hole at all and that concerns me a bit, and has partly contributed to me not using them.

Yep that was exactly my issue with the first set I got, I thought they had a hole and it’s really had to get them off without pulling the sensor. The second one ( will post a pic) has a hole but is impossible to position even with help

Sorry forgot the pic

Attachments

• 424737EB-DB12-4BCE-8E29-072AFCF659B3.jpeg
    424737EB-DB12-4BCE-8E29-072AFCF659B3.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 4
Applied new sensor this morning at 10am came lose at 1pm so reported it to Abbott

Not had this happen for must be 3 years or more, definitely it was using libre 1 so good while back, can only think that's its heat as did all usual of cleaning skin waiting for it to dry before application.

Not got another as waiting on prescription, so back to bg testing which will be strange as don't test much nowadays, even if did have another think I would wait until its cooler before applying given today's experience.

Yep that was exactly my issue with the first set I got, I thought they had a hole and it’s really had to get them off without pulling the sensor. The second one ( will post a pic) has a hole but is impossible to position even with help

Thanks, Emma. Hmmm, I bought mine because I thought they might help in the swimming pool or for a day at the beach. They’re lovely to look at (and apparently last 21 days) but I think I’ll try one with care when I do (if I can position it and get it on ok).

Last year and the previous year, I had one fail to stay in place immediately following application during very hot spell.

I generally find infusion set and sensor adhesives seem to need about 24hrs to properly ‘cure’ to limpet-strength for me. Once that’s happened that are resistant to all but the most dramatic doorframe incidents 😱

But within that first day just a bit too much bending and stretching, or a gentle nudge can feel the sensor ‘ping’ and once the adhesive has popped like that there seems to be no adhesion left at all!

This works very well, and have used it over the past 4 years
Just cut a small hole in the middle of the piece you cut

kinesio.jpg

It nearly happened again, I think whats happening is that my car was 40 degrees when I went to the dentist earlier, I must be leaning against the seat and the glues melting. So I’ve decided not to drive or leave my house because the sun is a deadly laser

My daughter has taken to cutting up old pairs of tights into circular bands to hold her Dexcoms in place (sweating definitely makes them come loose). Unfortunately she uses black tights so she now looks like she’s constantly in mourning :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back