Heat and blood sugar levels

Jan ch

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
My husband is a type 2 diabetic and usually has a blood sugar of around 6.4. Can I ask could the heat we are having recently effect his levels as today he has a reading of 7.9

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My husband is a type 2 diabetic and usually has a blood sugar of around 6.4. Can I ask could the heat we are having recently effect his levels as today he has a reading of 7.9
My advice would be to see how it goes for a few days - maybe it's just random diabetic squidiginess. If elevated levels persist, try to have a chat with doctor.

Is he eating or drinking anything different? Eg more fruit juice with the heat?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If anything heat generally has a reputation to reduce BG, rather than raise it (people with diabetes on holiday in hot places often have to adjust medication downwards).

When were the BG reading being taken? BG varies a lot during the day, so single spot-checks are trickier to compare like for like.

Could just be ‘one of those things’, but worth keeping an eye on it to see if it’s the start of a pattern as Eddy suggests.

Pine Marten

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I do think the heat has an effect - I remember last year some members here found their levels rose a bit and others found that they came down. It's probably too early to tell, so as Eddy suggests see how it goes for a few days.

Jan ch

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Thank you everyone that has put my mind at rest . He had been eating as normal so will see how he goes