heartburn remedies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frantastic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i've had heartburn on and off for 4 days now. i've been taking charcoal tablets every now and again which seem to temporarily ease it but it still comes back.

does anyone else know any effective and diabetic proof remedies?

not sure why i've got it really cos its only the second time i've ever had it in my life and i've not change my diet or exercise or anything else recently.

Ta muchly, Fran x

Chew Gum This is a strange way to cure your heartburn, but it works. Try chewing on some gum right after a meal. The saliva will work it’s way down your throat and help to prevent the acid reflux from getting out of control. It will also help aid in digestion a bit.

IF that dont work try some of these out.

Drink your favorite milk. For lactose intolerant, this may not work. But if you love milk, it actually plays a role in easing heartburn. Calcium is known to neutralize acid, thus helps in reducing the pain caused by heartburn.

Drink a cup of ginger tea. Ginger tea is believed to ease heartburn as well just like milk. Drink a cup of tea if you think you are experiencing heartburn. There is nothing to lose anyway, ginger tea is very healthy.

Try eating yogurt. Eating a cupful of yogurt is also believed to help in easing heartburn. The curd, which yogurt is made of, is proven to help in the quick digestion of food.

Consume brown sugar. Brown sugar is said to be of great help in easing heartburn. However, the consumption should not be more than one tablespoon each day.

I don't get it very often, but when it happens I head for the milk too. Peppermint works too, whether it's some kind of mint sweet or peppermint tea.

if none of the above works ask the pharmacist as the will have something. Not sure if that one advertised withthe fire men is OK or things like renet is safe for us, but no harm in asking.

I moved this to the general message board where it is likely to get more response. Hope you feel better.

IF that dont work try some of these out.

Drink your favorite milk. For lactose intolerant, this may not work. But if you love milk, it actually plays a role in easing heartburn. Calcium is known to neutralize acid, thus helps in reducing the pain caused by heartburn.

Drink a cup of ginger tea. Ginger tea is believed to ease heartburn as well just like milk. Drink a cup of tea if you think you are experiencing heartburn. There is nothing to lose anyway, ginger tea is very healthy.

Try eating yogurt. Eating a cupful of yogurt is also believed to help in easing heartburn. The curd, which yogurt is made of, is proven to help in the quick digestion of food.

Consume brown sugar. Brown sugar is said to be of great help in easing heartburn. However, the consumption should not be more than one tablespoon each day.

thanks for all the advice guys. i've actually already tried yoghurt because i had that for my lunch, not realising it helps, but it didn't. I also read somewhere that peppermint can play a part in getting heartburn but i've had mints and gum today and i don't think it caused it and it certainly didn't get rid of it:(
not a fan of ginger tea i'm afriad or any other flavoured teas so i'l leave that one til last. but i will try a glass of milk. i think i could probably stomach that. do you think it matters if its hot or cold milk? i would prefer it hot.

hopefully something will help. my mum has scared me a little because she said its the first sign of a gall bladder problem and most of the women in my family have had to have theirs removed :-s

yeah, Gaviscon advance (the one with the firemen) is sugar free! Can't see any reason why that would not be ok for diabetics. Also sugar free are:
Maalox Plus
Asilone
Mucogel
These are antacids, ie they contain aluminium and magnesium to reduce the acidity of stomach acid.

Peptac, Gaviscon
and Rennie Duo
These have an alginate in them that sort of forms a bubble bath like barrier on top of the stomach acid and stops it sloshing around and going back up your windpipe and giving you acid reflux.

You might want to avoid the ones with sugar to disguise the chalky taste and try to get a lower sodium content one of you are watching your salt levels. Apart from that, don't take any other oral drugs at the same time, coz the reduction in acidity and the rafty-bubble effect will affect the absorption of tablets, especially if you're on Glucophage. Insulin shouldn't be a problem though as that bypasses the stomach when you inject.

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back