Healthy snacks???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca77

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, hope you’re all well xx
Can anyone please give me some ideas for healthy snacks? Sweet and savoury, especially salty. I’ve been snacking on crisps, chocolate, cakes, biscuits and takeaways for past few years and I’m struggling to find stuff to replace that, gggrrrrrrrrrrr. Thanks

Sugar free jelly with frozen raspberries in when you make it is good and sets quickly. Nice with yoghurt too.

Just a few that I can think of off the top of my head:-

Nuts.... go steady on peanuts and cashews as they are higher carb but others are mostly low carb.
Boiled egg with a little mayonnaise
Veggie sticks with proper sour cream and chive dip from the deli (not the Doritos stuff in a jar)
Olives with or without feta or any other cheese... I've just bought olives with Manchego today for a change.
Pork scratching are low carb and feature on my snack list though some will not consider them healthy.
Slices of salami/peperoni placed between kitchen paper on a plate and microwaved to create salami crisps.
Half a square of dark 85% chocolate with a teaspoon of peanut butter.
A slice of ham with some cheese coleslaw wrapped inside it.

Nature Valley protein bars, KIND or shop own, less than 10g carb per bar.
You could make your own muffins, sweet or savoury, sugarfreelondoner web site has a good selection of Keto/low carb recipes.

I don't eat snacks. I only eat meals. It's far from being a hardship, I just drink endless tea without milk or sugar, or in the morning the same with coffee, Americanos. it's not compulsory to eat snacks, that's very much a historically recent habit. our ancestors got on quite well with just eating meals. It's only a way to get fat for normal people, so imitating them with low carb versions is daft.

I am a bit of a grazer and I eat snacks instead of meals when I am on the go, so a pot of olives with feta might be my evening meal if I get in at 9 or 10pm and just want something quick and low carb. Similarly with nuts or cheese or a boiled egg with some mayonnaise at lunchtime. I can't really call these foods meals as they aren't that substantial but they are enough to tide me over till the next meal.
I think our prehistoric ancestors probably had a mixture of meals and grazing. There would be meals when there had been a successful hunt and grazing I imagine whilst out and about foraging for food. It is an instinctive thing to eat whilst you are brambling after all.

Just a few that I can think of off the top of my head:-

Nuts.... go steady on peanuts and cashews as they are higher carb but others are mostly low carb.
Boiled egg with a little mayonnaise
Veggie sticks with proper sour cream and chive dip from the deli (not the Doritos stuff in a jar)
Olives with or without feta or any other cheese... I've just bought olives with Manchego today for a change.
Pork scratching are low carb and feature on my snack list though some will not consider them healthy.
Slices of salami/peperoni placed between kitchen paper on a plate and microwaved to create salami crisps.
Half a square of dark 85% chocolate with a teaspoon of peanut butter.
A slice of ham with some cheese coleslaw wrapped inside it.
Thanks so so much for that xxx

If you mix in double cream and stir well until it becomes mousse like and maybe add a few raspberries or strawberries you have a lovely pud
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back