Healthy snacks - Ideas Please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emzi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi 🙂

Im trying to find a healthy snack that is not bad for my bloods so when i get that need to munch i dont choose biscuits etc. I bought some raisens but after hearing that there not exactly blood sugar friendly i have found a home for them with my chinchillas - and they're thrilled :D

But does anyone have any helpful tips on what snacks are good and blood sugar friendly and also healthy?

Thanks
Em

I like to eat dry roasted peanuts. They're low carb and just a few takes the edge off my hunger pangs.🙂

Have some carrotts and celery sliced up. My friend likes to dip her celery in peanut butter. Apples are not too bad, and unsalted nuts. I know the dried fruit is full of sugar, but you can get fruit and nut mixes that help fill you up and give you the taste of something sweet .

I know you want healthy snacks, but sometimes it is OK to have a biscuit or small ammount of chcolate as a treat. We all need treats sometimes.

There really isnt an easy answer to this one!

If you want to inject for the snack - you can eat anything, as in theory you will have your ratio/food insulin needs worked out. (fruit,cheese,veg etc)

But if your talking about a 'free' snack without insulin - this is trickier. We were told Alex could have 14g of carbohydrate as a 'free' snack - but this was never the case! He ALWAYS spiked after any of these snacks, so we started to cover by insulin for any snack.

Unfortunately, low carb snacks tend to be fatty - so adding on the calories.
Cheese is carbfree but very fatty etc..Milk has carbs in but will fill you up. Sorry i am not helping much am i?🙂Bev

There really isnt an easy answer to this one!

If you want to inject for the snack - you can eat anything, as in theory you will have your ratio/food insulin needs worked out. (fruit,cheese,veg etc)

But if your talking about a 'free' snack without insulin - this is trickier. We were told Alex could have 14g of carbohydrate as a 'free' snack - but this was never the case! He ALWAYS spiked after any of these snacks, so we started to cover by insulin for any snack.

Unfortunately, low carb snacks tend to be fatty - so adding on the calories.
Cheese is carbfree but very fatty etc..Milk has carbs in but will fill you up. Sorry i am not helping much am i?🙂Bev

I don't injject, but you have given me something to think about Bev, so in that wy you are helping. Seems the Big D is a very personal thing and we are all only able to make suggestions of what may or may not work.

Strawberries are remarkably low carb, a nice snack for summer...

Did you abandon them after reading that they spike some people, or did you try them out and see what effect they had?

snacks

hi em i heard special k ceareal bars aer a good snack hope this helps!!!!🙂

Hi 🙂

Im trying to find a healthy snack that is not bad for my bloods so when i get that need to munch i dont choose biscuits etc. I bought some raisens but after hearing that there not exactly blood sugar friendly i have found a home for them with my chinchillas - and they're thrilled :D

But does anyone have any helpful tips on what snacks are good and blood sugar friendly and also healthy?

Thanks
Em

Hi Emzi

Mention snacks and my tum is gargling! I love snacks and am trying to reduce how many I have. I was advised that you could have 1 carbohydrate portion (10g carb) without taking extra insulin. So I opt for a couple of water biscuits dipped into humous, or with low fat cream cheese, or with reduced sugar jam.
Or you could have a slice of chicken on top. I find these fill me up, whereas if I have a biscuit, I need another one or two....!

Gingernuts and garibaldi tend to have less fat but obviously you need to watch the sugar content. I remember one forum member mentioned Mikado sticks. These are very thin biscuit sticks dipped in milk chocolate. I think each stick is less that 2g carbohydrate. You can buy a packet individually or in packs of 3 (you can tell they are my treat!).

Enjoy your snacks!

from Sugarmouse

Did you abandon them after reading that they spike some people, or did you try them out and see what effect they had?

I tried them out, after a morning reading of 5.9 and a bowl of fruit and fibre for breakfast and my morning insulin i had a small handful and my bm was 13.9 at lunch i suppose it doesnt help that i already had my fruit in the cereal so it prob made it worse.

I have swapped my bowl of raisens to a bowl of special k flakes, and it sits on my desk and if i need to munch i have a few. I find the special k flakes hardly touch my bm where as the special k bars have the sugar in the sticky stuff holding it together so i save them for pudding after dinner.

Its so hard to diet and be a diabetic at the same time 🙄

I really do miss the simple life of not caring about my diabetes and ignoring it and having a relatively normal life but im determined not to go back!!!

Thats a good idea, my partner takes cereal sometimes to work to munch on, I only like cereal with milk.

Very true it is hard to diet with diabetes, I'm half trying at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back