Healthy relationship with food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purls of Wisdom

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Being a vegetarian, I feel that I am eating little and same items of food. Weetabix, wholemeal sandwich with cheese and salad and home cooked lentils or veg curry with a piece of fruit. Seldom snack on unsalted peanuts, seeds and roasted brown chickpeas. Boring stuff. This gives me unwelcome carbs and spikes but no nutrition or satisfaction. I continue to lose weight, 2 dress sizes down, I may add. Please suggest where to go from here for learning how to pair carbs and protiens in order to eat better and be happier.

Being an Indian, for me a meal is incomplete without chapattis or rice. The absence of either of them from my plate sends me in a panic mode. Chapattis and seeded bread make me spike badly, how can I replace them with diabetes friendly diet of less carbs?
Mind boggling stuff!

Do you eat eggs, paneer, halloumi, tofu.
Yoghurt with berries and seeds. I found Keto Hanna granola expensive but low carb only 9g per 100g.
Butternut squash, cauliflower and chickpea curry is one of my favourite. Aubergines are good base for a veggie moussaka.
See if there are any meal options in this link that might suit you. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
I have seen a recipe for keto naan using almond flour.

Having just seen you are on insulin in your other post, I assume you are on fixed doses so cannot adjust to enable you to have some rice or chapati with your meals.
Can you not ask to do a carb counting course and have an insulin which you can alter to account for what you eat.

Hi @Purls of Wisdom I've been looking at various sites and recipes for inspiration as a newly diagnosed type 2 and came across this one https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/recipes/tandoori-chicken-chapatti looking at it I think they must be shop bought Chappattis and may not be as good as home made but .....
I can eat my curries without rice but need a chappatti to really enjoy it.
One chapatti is not enough for me. I used to be a big eater and now the thought of eating less makes me depressed. I admit that I had no sense of portion control. I used to live to eat. Liked my own cooking and ate till I was happily full. Now a days I am always hungry. Only good thing about me is that I have strong will power. No means no. Luckier than many in that respect, me thinks.

One chapatti is not enough for me. I used to be a big eater and now the thought of eating less makes me depressed. I admit that I had no sense of portion control. I used to live to eat. Liked my own cooking and ate till I was happily full. Now a days I am always hungry. Only good thing about me is that I have strong will power. No means no. Luckier than many in that respect, me thinks.
Oh yes I used to eat more than one chapatti with a meal but having been reducing portions and following low carb, I may manage with one😉 I'm sure there are other good things about you and yes a strong will can be a blessing especially when things are trying.

Having just seen you are on insulin in your other post, I assume you are on fixed doses so cannot adjust to enable you to have some rice or chapati with your meals.
Can you not ask to do a carb counting course and have an insulin which you can alter to account for what you eat.
Early days, I am told. Unsure if my pancreas is making little insulin or none at all, said the DSN. Levemir got topped up a couple of days ago. Novorapid ratio is 1:10, very first step I guess. And you would agree that it is impossible to carb count curries and lentils.

Oh yes I used to eat more than one chapatti with a meal but having been reducing portions and following low carb, I may manage with one😉 I'm sure there are other good things about you and yes a strong will can be a blessing especially when things are trying.
I am constantly hungry.

Do you eat eggs, paneer, halloumi, tofu.
Yoghurt with berries and seeds. I found Keto Hanna granola expensive but low carb only 9g per 100g.
Butternut squash, cauliflower and chickpea curry is one of my favourite. Aubergines are good base for a veggie moussaka.
See if there are any meal options in this link that might suit you. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
I have seen a recipe for keto naan using almond flour.
I do eat eggs, paneer, mushrooms and aubergines. I fear that too many eggs and dairy products are eventually going to send my cholesterol sky-high. Am I reading too much into simpler things?

I am constantly hungry.
I'm still new to this, I was diagnosed on the 30th May almost 5 weeks ago. I was concerned about food, what can I eat and how much? Someone on this forum had suggested the book or app Carb & Calorie counter and I have found it invaluable as I learn to adapt recipes etc.

Early days, I am told. Unsure if my pancreas is making little insulin or none at all, said the DSN. Levemir got topped up a couple of days ago. Novorapid ratio is 1:10, very first step I guess. And you would agree that it is impossible to carb count curries and lentils.
I don't think it would be difficult to know the carbs in your curry. Just look up the carbs of each of your ingredients and add them up and divide by how many portions it makes. Some things will have very few grams of carb like the vegetables, others like the lentils or chickpeas rather more, I assume you use individual spices which would be pretty well zero. e g. Carbs and Cals says 80g tinned lentils is 14g carb, 80g chickpeas 13g carb

I don't think it would be difficult to know the carbs in your curry. Just look up the carbs of each of your ingredients and add them up and divide by how many portions it makes. Some things will have very few grams of carb like the vegetables, others like the lentils or chickpeas rather more, I assume you use individual spices which would be pretty well zero. e g. Carbs and Cals says 80g tinned lentils is 14g carb, 80g chickpeas 13g carb
it is those 2 small wholemeal chapattis which are the problem; not curries. I have endless options and recipes to keep me going but what to replace those dreaded chapattis with? BTW, I have been cooking for over 38 years and been told that I am a confident cook.

I'm still new to this, I was diagnosed on the 30th May almost 5 weeks ago. I was concerned about food, what can I eat and how much? Someone on this forum had suggested the book or app Carb & Calorie counter and I have found it invaluable as I learn to adapt recipes etc.
Thanks. I have the book.

Have you tried cauliflower rice?
iIt won’t replace chapatis but is a carb free rice alternative

I like cauli rice - fresh cauli grated and dry fried, tastes sort of 'nutty' to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back