Health News about grapefruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
have just read the Health News about the grapefruit - i've always liked grapefruit but have stopped eating it because i now take statins and when i collected my very first prescription, the chemist asked me if i ate grapefruit and i said sometimes so she said i musn't eat any more, that's a shame :-(

Yes, I was told the same thing when they put me on them too. Pity that.

I was told that as well, infact I have a warning on my prescription label about not taking the simvistatin and grapefruit. Think it is something to do with the enzymes in the grapefruit interacting with the statins...

grapefruit

Hi,

just wondering if drinking grapefruit juice would have the same effect or does it have to be the flesh of the grapefruit what a dream come true :D

Lanzlady

Hi,

just wondering if drinking grapefruit juice would have the same effect or does it have to be the flesh of the grapefruit what a dream come true :D

Lanzlady

It applies to grapefruit juice as well, I'm afraid :( I think Grapefruit shouldn't be consumed for quite a few medications. I did read that you'd need to eat 400 grapefruits at one sitting to get the effect described, but there is a concentrated pill available - not sure if that is prohibited when on statins though! Where's Rachel? 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back