Health news 18th April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
MP in fight against sugar in fizzy drinks

An MP has launched a fight against the amount of sugar in fizzy drinks. Keith Vaz, Labour member for Leicester East, is proposing a new law which would force manufacturers to reduce the sugar content of fizzy drinks, and invest some of their profits into diabetes research.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/MP-fight-sugar-fizzy-drinks/story-15848043-detail/story.html

Positive outlook on life linked to lower risk of heart attacks: research

People who are able to enjoy simple pleasures, have a sunny disposition and positive outlook on life are less likely to have heart attacks and strokes, it has been found. It was known that stress and depression increase the chances of being unwell and is harmful for the heart but less was known about how positive emotions affect health.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...-to-lower-risk-of-heart-attacks-research.html

Avastin turned down for advanced breast cancer

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence has issued draft guidance on Avastin, also known as bevacizumab, saying it should not be used as the first treatment for women with advanced breast cancer that has spread. The drug, which costs more than ?3,500 per patient per month, stops progression of the disease for an average of three months but there was no evidence to suggest if this meant women actually lived longer if they were given it, a spokesman for Nice said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...n-turned-down-for-advanced-breast-cancer.html

Children 'allowed to drink at 13'

The average age at which UK parents allow their children to have an alcoholic drink is 13, a new study has found. Half (50%) of 10 to 17-year-olds who have had a drink say it was their parents who supplied the alcohol, the poll for charity Drinkaware found, making adults the most common source.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/children-allowed-to-drink-at-13-7657032.html

My eldest stepchild had apparently gone a bit quiet one evening when she was approx 3.

Her parents discovered her behind the settee with half a bottle of vodka. I mean the bottle wasn't by any means full to begin with, but was definitely lower than it had been. They don't think she'd really drunk all that much, only knew she'd had some. How anyone esp a 3 yo could drink it neat without uttering some sort of sound, is beyond me even now.

So I spose you could say that was supplied by her parents? LOL

PS it's still her fave but she's 40 now and doesn't hide behind the settee now!

EE just shocking r.e the last story I drank a bottle of white lighening at 16 behind the college i studied at and that was enough to put me off ever since, I totally disagree with parents ALLOWING there kids to drinkat 13, and the arguement at least there doing it at home is a poor one

The parents obviously do not understand the dangers of alcohol. It really upsets me to see that parents think this is OK at such a young age.

The parents obviously do not understand the dangers of alcohol. It really upsets me to see that parents think this is OK at such a young age.

Yup me to Cherry, its the same with cigerettes, an old mate of mine has a boy he is now about 18 but at the time i knew her her lad was about 12 and she would regularly lend him a tab if he wanted one, I was once present when she did it and I could hardly contain myself

The argument seems to be; introducing alcohol in a controlled way at an earlier age vs a free for all at 18.

Given the number of new students that went completely mad with alcohol at 18 when they went to Uni I'm firmly in the "do it earlier" method. But yes, alcohol can be very dangerous so you can't just serve a pint at 12 and assume it is ok (I was only allowed Shandy till I was 16 and after that only a half!).

Of course what the survey doesn't capture was if it was a safe controlled drink supplied by the parents, or a more irresponsible "drink as much as you like". But then proper research doesn't sell papers does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back