Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi,

Just reading up on it as I’ve got an overnight school trip in October (another matter) and realised that my school HCP should be updated annually, according to Diabetes UK and my schools policy.

It was last done in Year 7, when I first started secondary

Is it worth getting it updated? Just wondering how often these are updated for others

Thanks in advance

I’m a teacher, so my view on this is from a different perspective. Also I’m in Scotland so maybe a wee bit different.

I would say that it gets updated whenever there are changes to your medication or emergency procedures. It should absolutely be reviewed every year though.

For example if you were on injections and moved to a pump then it should be updated. Or if you need a certain medication at a certain time or that has changed. But if there haven’t been changes then it’s generally to leave it. You can ask for it to be updated though if you are going away overnight.

Thanks for your reply, it doesn’t say that I use Libre 2, or that I’m allowed to use my phone for scanning it (that’s not the case now but waiting on Dexcom funding. That bit is important as teachers and other staff confiscate phones on sight (regular teachers know) and although it hasn’t happened yet it is a bit of a fear There are probably a few other bits and pieces on it that need changing but can’t remember now.

It will definitely be updated for when I go on the overnight trip in October

My parents just looked at it online and it seems fine.
It just says that I need to be allowed to check BG and take insulin when I need too.
I think it’s fine to be left as is

I would say just update it when things change. If you need your phone for your CGM though, could you not update it to say that? My daughter used to have a card that she carried with her to say that she must be allowed to keep her phone with her at all times for medical purposes. (Now she’s in the Sixth Form they are a little bit more relaxed about such things.) Then you wouldn’t have to worry about it being confiscated.

I’m waiting on Dexcom funding so will need to use my phone for it then, I used to use my phone for scanning Libre and all my regular teachers knew and if any staff tried to confiscate it I’d just say “I’m type one diabetic,I’m checking my levels” and that was that. Irrelevant now as my NFC on my phone is broken and no one has yet mistaken the reader for a phone

If it's an EHCP then it is definitely meant to be updated annually, but I think that update can be a note being added to say that there are no changes.

It hasn’t been updated since June 2019, so on one of the introduction days before Year 7. Along with allowing me to check BG and take insulin when need it just says that BG in the 2’s and 1’s are extremely dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back