Health apps you should avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Your health is a complicated puzzle best solved by professionals, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use technology to make things simpler. Never has it been easier to track your health, monitor your fitness goals or research treatment options.
"It turns out that your interaction with your doctor has two parts. There's a technical component: your doctor is gathering information about you to make a diagnosis and recommend a care plan. And then there's the emotional overlay," says Dr Joe Kvedar, the founder and director of the Centre for Connected Health, which focuses on providing healthcare outside of the traditional hospital or doctor's office setting.
"We're not taking your doctors visit away," Dr Kvedar explains. "So much of what we do with patients is the algorithmic information; it's not that emotionally laden piece." Following up with a doctor about when to take a medication is a good example of something that can be done over email. Who wants to spend an afternoon in your physician's waiting room for that?
Advertisement
On the other hand, discussing test results for a life-changing disease is a conversation that relies on the emotional component of the doctor-patient relationship and should be done in person.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/smartphone-apps/health-apps-you-should-avoid-20130711-2ps50.html

4. Insulin dose calculators
Both Dr Kvedar and Dr Misra said diabetic smartphone users should be especially wary of apps that record their daily food intake and, in turn, calculate an appropriate insulin dose. Food intake is one factor, but "certainly not the only thing" to consider when calculating an insulin dose. When it comes to medication dosage, it's best to ask your doctor.

Hmm...I can just see me asking my doctor what dose I should be injecting before every meal...😱

Last edited:
Maybe the doctors in Oz are not the poor overworked souls we have here! Or maybe they don't want to educate the patients to manage their own condition?

Maybe the doctors in Oz are not the poor overworked souls we have here! Or maybe they don't want to educate the patients to manage their own condition?

Don't be daft LeeLee, it's a simple dastardly plan to eliminate people on insulin so it save on test strips and insulin costs. 😱:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back