Headaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathplum

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I recently had my first doctor's appointment at hospital diabetes clinic since going on insulin (Novarapid 10 - 14 units and Lantus 30 units). I have also been taking Metformin (slow release) 500mg twice a day.

My HbA1c was 8.4 (December 14, 2009)

The doctor has increased metformin to 1000mg twice a day and wants me to reduce fast-acting insulin (Novarapid). I'm not totally happy with this - I was on metformin and glicazide for 3 months from beginning of August: BS average was 15 ... ended up in hospital in November with ketone acidosis - hence put on insulin. When first put on Metformin (first diagnosed end of January 2009) I had terrible nausea!! And suffering again with nausea BUT ALSO terrible headaches!! Is this metformin?

I can't understand why they're putting me back on Metformin? When in hospital, consultant said I would be insulin-dependent. Frustarted and confused :(

What should I do? Have appointment with DSN next week.

I get the headaches im currently on the same dose as you r.e metformin and the strenght is also the same, I find i get then about every 2 days and they hang around for ages, its very annoying , if YOU dont feel happy about it speak up it is your diabetes and your life, Im having to do the same thing i want to go onto byetta and the DSN has said i should but GP has said no im not happy and after asking in here im going to make sure he knows i mean business about going onto it

good luck and hope the headaches settle xx

Mention it to DSN next week you can only have your say.

I don't know if metformin causes headaches, I don't remember people complaining about that, but I have never taken the drug.
The doctors must think you have some degreee of insulin resistance which metformin is used to overcome. I would speak to your doctor though and see if it could be linked.

Are you having alot of hypo's? I can get headaches post hypo. Wonder if you are getting them now you are on insulin.

Did they tell you that you have type 1, or do they still think you have type 2 diabetes?

Hi Cathplum, seems strange to me that they should try and revert to an older regime (partly) when the new regime appears to be working and you are happier with it. I'd ask the DSN for a clear explanation of the advantages/disadvantages of reducing insulin whilst increasing metformin - it's not as though you're going to be able to stop injecting. What are your levels like with the current insulin doses?

I dont know if headaches are associated with metformin, ive never taken it.

However, I used to get the most terrible headaches before pumping if my bg had been high for a while. How are your numbers? Just a thought.

Headaches

The last month my average BS levels have been 7.5. I haven't found my BS levels dropping with increase of metformin. I have had very few hypos in last month. The BS levels are lower than before, but I think I'm getting to grips with insulin doses.

I'll continue to monitor until see DSN next week.

I'm still seen as Type 2 although had test in hospital to determine whether this correct - result of that test has not come back yet - it takes a couple of months apparently to get result.

Thanks for your responses.

Let us know how things go cath. Looks to me that you have halved your average levels on the insulin and no doubt improving with experience, so it seems to be a bit early to start making changes. If it wasn't working I would understand it more. But hey - I'm not a doctor! Make sure you are happy with any changes and get more than one view🙂

I don't think the metformin causes headaches. One possibility is your body adjusting to the new lower sugar levels.

If you are worried, re read the blurb that comes with your tablets and have a chat to the doctor.

Sometimes if I am due a meal or a bit dehydrated I get a headache, so it is always worth investigating other possibilities too.

I hope you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back