HBALC levels

kim k

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi all ,I have had type 2 diabetes for nearly 9 years and 5 years off that time I'm on metformin, the question I would like answered as diabetes is a progressive disease I'm wondering how many of you have maintained a hbalc level of 48 for a long period of time, as my last hbalc level was 45 ,any feed back would be much appreciated.

Hi @kim k , there's quite a few members who have managed to keep their HbA1c at relatively similar range and I'm sure they'll come along soon to share their experience, and we also have those whose numbers are steadily decreasing with time, due to the changes that they have adapted into their lifestyle. Do you mind me asking if your levels been relatively the same over the last couple of tests? In addition to taking metformin, have you changed anything about your diet or anything else?

Hi all ,I have had type 2 diabetes for nearly 9 years and 5 years off that time I'm on metformin, the question I would like answered as diabetes is a progressive disease I'm wondering how many of you have maintained a hbalc level of 48 for a long period of time, as my last hbalc level was 45 ,any feed back would be much appreciated.
Welcome to the forum
I think it is now an outdated presumption that diabetes is a progressive condition and there are many here who are proof of that having managed to keep their HbA1C below 48mmol/mol or even in normal range of below 42mmol/mol without medication but by making significant dietary changes and maintaining those.
There will of course be people who will need medication to keep their Hba1C at those levels.
I was diagnosed 3 years ago with an HbA1C of 50mmol/mol and by following a low carb regime reduced it down to 42 in 3 months and to 38 in another 6months which is where it has remained, but I still maintain that new way of eating./

Via sustained weight loss, I've kept my HbA1c to ~35 for 6 years now. Carbs: don't really care & not really an issue.

Yes, Eddy Edson's 'About me' shows how HbA1c closely relates to weight/BMI and other markers (FBG,Non-HDL-C, BP):
Mar 2018: HbA1c 10.3%/89, FBG 15.6. BMI 25. Non-HDL-C 4.8 mmol/l. BP 165/95
Sep 2018: HbA1c 5.8%/40, FBG 5.0. BMI 23. Non-HDL-C 2.2 mmol/l. BP 115/75
Sep 2023: HbA1c 5.3%/35, FBG 4.8. BMI 20. Non-HDL-C 1.1 mmol/l. BP 105/64

I have kept my HbA1c in the 32-39 range for 2 years now. My weight at 32 was 4kg less than at 39.

Try losing a bit more weight and see what happens to your HbA1c?

Last edited:
Hi @kim k , there's quite a few members who have managed to keep their HbA1c at relatively similar range and I'm sure they'll come along soon to share their experience, and we also have those whose numbers are steadily decreasing with time, due to the changes that they have adapted into their lifestyle. Do you mind me asking if your levels been relatively the same over the last couple of tests? In addition to taking metformin, have you changed anything about your diet or anything else?
Hi ,my levels have been the same for a little while and I haven't made any changes to diet etc.

Yes, as Eddy Edson's 'About me' shows HbA1c is closely related to weight/BMI, as are other markers (Non-HDL-C, BP):
Mar 2018: HbA1c 10.3%/89, FBG 15.6. BMI 25. Non-HDL-C 4.8 mmol/l. BP 165/95
Sep 2018: HbA1c 5.8%/40, FBG 5.0. BMI 23. Non-HDL-C 2.2 mmol/l. BP 115/75
Sep 2023: HbA1c 5.3%/35, FBG 4.8. BMI 20. Non-HDL-C 1.1 mmol/l. BP 105/64

I have kept my HbA1c in the range 32-39 for 2 years now. My weight at 32 was 4kg less than at 39.

Try losing a bit more weight and see what happens to your HbA1c?
Thankyou

Yes they have been the same and I haven't changed my diet

Hi.
I dropped from 80s to 41 with no medication and severe changes to diet and exercise but it just wasn't manageable or maintainable for me.

It slowly went back up from the low 40s and now with 2 x 500mg Metformin it's very steady last few tests have all been 45-49. I have no doubt that I'll be able to keep it that way and go back down to 1 Metformin pill before my next review. I had gotten quite lazy and busy at work but I'm slowly starting to exercise and go walking again. I only have a few kg to drop to put back to my ideal weight and I'm hopeful by the time I hit that I'll be back to low 40s.

Hi.
I dropped from 80s to 41 with no medication and severe changes to diet and exercise but it just wasn't manageable or maintainable for me.

It slowly went back up from the low 40s and now with 2 x 500mg Metformin it's very steady last few tests have all been 45-49. I have no doubt that I'll be able to keep it that way and go back down to 1 Metformin pill before my next review. I had gotten quite lazy and busy at work but I'm slowly starting to exercise and go walking again. I only have a few kg to drop to put back to my ideal weight and I'm hopeful by the time I hit that I'll be back to low 40s.
Thanks for that ,interesting.

Back