Hbac1 reading sugars down to 32 cholestrol up

Robbie bobidy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well it seems one thing gets better another gets worse myvsugars are now at 32 but my cholestrol has gone up l, someone I know says this will be due to a higher protein diet l. DR wants to put menon statins I'm reluctant to do this as its still lower than it was in January.

I'm chuffed to bits with the diabetic result little worriesldnabout the cholestrol still paying the price for years of abuse

Well it seems one thing gets better another gets worse myvsugars are now at 32 but my cholestrol has gone up l, someone I know says this will be due to a higher protein diet l. DR wants to put menon statins I'm reluctant to do this as its still lower than it was in January.

I'm chuffed to bits with the diabetic result little worriesldnabout the cholestrol still paying the price for years of abuse
Have you been losing weight at all? It isn't uncommon for those who have been losing weight to find their lipids rise for a while, but settle again once weight similarly stabilises.

Have you been losing weight at all? It isn't uncommon for those who have been losing weight to find their lipids rise for a while, but settle again once weight similarly stabilises.
Yeah I’ve lost about 5 and half stone

Well done (provided it was needed).

In your shoes, I’d be inclined to defer meds, in return for a retest after 3-6 months, but it’s up to you clearly.

Oh yes it was needed probably another 5.5st needed as well. Funnily enough I thought the same about deferral

Agree about actively losing weight causing a temporary higher level than once weight is settled

Also it’s too common to look at total cholesterol and pay no attention to how it’s made up. What are the ratios? Higher HDL is good not bad and has likely risen. What type of ldl is it (almost never checked and broken down into particle size or aliolipoproteins which is also relevant to what risk they represent)? And what have your triglycerides done? They are more indicative of risk than ldl or HDL

In your shoes I’d be deferring a decision for now, and in fact did just that and am still doing so. I don’t get my cholesterol checked often anymore as I won’t take statins anyway so what’s the point. No one at the surgery has ever questioned why I don’t get the test)

Agree about actively losing weight causing a temporary higher level than once weight is settled

Also it’s too common to look at total cholesterol and pay no attention to how it’s made up. What are the ratios? Higher HDL is good not bad and has likely risen. What type of ldl is it (almost never checked and broken down into particle size or aliolipoproteins which is also relevant to what risk they represent)? And what have your triglycerides done? They are more indicative of risk than ldl or HDL

In your shoes I’d be deferring a decision for now, and in fact did just that and am still doing so. I don’t get my cholesterol checked often anymore as I won’t take statins anyway so what’s the point. No one at the surgery has ever questioned why I don’t get the test)
My tryglicerates have fallen from 1,9 in January to 1.1. I think I’m going to defer for a few months at least

Many years ago, when I lost over 4 stone, my cholesterol also shot up. I was told cholesterol was more a function of the liver, less of what I ate, and that was just how my body worked. I am severely reactive to statins, and was told to take a cholesterol reducing drink which I have done daily for over 20 years. My total cholesterol reduced by 17%. It's still higher than the GP would like and I have a regular battle about statins, each time I see someone, until I ask them to read my notes! But many people can take statins without problems.

Congratulations on the reduced HbA1c @Robbie bobidy

I dithered about statins for many years, but started taking them when my QRISK3 crept over 10%. I’ve not had a single negative impact from them, but now all my numbers (total and component parts) are nestled meekly in their preferred ranges.

I kinda wish I’d tried them earlier if I’m honest. There is a bunch of noise and hearsay on the internet, but the vast majority can take them with no problems at all, and expert consensus suggests the risk reduction they give is cumulative over time, so small differences can multiply to make a big difference if started earlier.

Congratulations on the reduced HbA1c @Robbie bobidy

I dithered about statins for many years, but started taking them when my QRISK3 crept over 10%. I’ve not had a single negative impact from them, but now all my numbers (total and component parts) are nestled meekly in their preferred ranges.

I kinda wish I’d tried them earlier if I’m honest. There is a bunch of noise and hearsay on the internet, but the vast majority can take them with no problems at all, and expert consensus suggests the risk reduction they give is cumulative over time, so small differences can multiply to make a big difference if started earlier.
Thanks funnily enough I soike to the Dr yesterday he worked out the qrisk3 thing again and said it was 8.5% so said it should be lifestyles still, it seems the difference was they had my weight at 119 kg which was correct 3 months ago but I'm now down to 110 kg made me laugh to be fair

I love playing with those Qrisk scores.

If I lowered my cholesterol that risk would (only) go down from 11.7% to 10.8%.
So the chance I would benefit from statins is 1 in 111, while it is certain they will make my diabetes worse.

If I say I have type 2 instead of type 1 it goes down to 7.6% and if I say I don't have diabetes at all it drops further to 3.8%.

An A1c of 32 is almost like having no diabetes, which lowers Qrisk 50% or even more if you have type 1. That risk goes up dramatically as you get older, if it is 8.5% now it will be ~17% in ten years and you will almost certainly be put on a statin.

Back