Not open for further replies.

Jacen017

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi again guys!

Sorry if this is a silly question;

I got my HbA1c results back, is there anything I need to understand or do on the back of them or is it just a nice to know?

Thanks so much!

J
Screenshot_20220108-001733762_1.jpg

That is a very high HbA1C but could be alot worse. And as a first HbA1C to give you a diabetes diagnosis some people are a lot higher. Do you know if your Type 1 or Type 2?

That is a very high HbA1C but could be alot worse. And as a first HbA1C to give you a diabetes diagnosis some people are a lot higher. Do you know if your Type 1 or Type 2?
Thanks for the speedy reply Lily.

Still no news on the type yet =(.

I'm really anxious to get that news so I can make sure I'm doing the right things to keep on top of it all.

Thanks for the speedy reply Lily.

Still no news on the type yet =(.

I'm really anxious to get that news so I can make sure I'm doing the right things to keep on top of it all.
It’s fair enough to be anxious - I went back and read your other post and you’re on Humulin? Have you BG numbers come down to a more normal level?

It’s fair enough to be anxious - I went back and read your other post and you’re on Humulin? Have you BG numbers come down to a more normal level?
I think so. I genuinely don't know if it's the insulin or how strict I've been with food that's helping though. I don't think I'm eating as much as I should.

This is the last 7 days. Screenshot_20220108-004858138 (1).jpg

I am not familiar with an insulin regime but looking at your log 3.7 would put you at a hypo level, did you need to treat it.
What are you eating which makes you think you are not eating enough.? Do you mean carbs or just in general.
I assume the insulin you are taking is a basal insulin and you take no bolus for food.
Hopefully some Type 1 folk will comment.

I am not familiar with an insulin regime but looking at your log 3.7 would put you at a hypo level, did you need to treat it.
What are you eating which makes you think you are not eating enough.? Do you mean carbs or just in general.
I assume the insulin you are taking is a basal insulin and you take no bolus for food.
I looked back on the OP first thread and they are on Humulin - which I believe is a mixed insulin - if that’s any help

Does this mean they should eat a fixed amount of carbs per day?
A mixed insulin is a mixture of bolus and basal so until they are changed onto a basal-bolus regime then I think so.

I treated it with 4 jelly babies followed by some peanut butter on crackers.

That was horrible, I didn't notice any of the warning signs I was told about until after I took the reading before bed. I think because I've had most of the warning signs almost constantly because I'm used to having a much higher BG level?

I take the Humulin twice a day, 12 hours apart.

I've been eating roughly the same thing for breakfast and lunch;

Breakfast: Poached egg, 2 bacon rashers and a slice of wholemeal toast with either peanut butter or avocado.

Lunch: French lentils with some chicken breast mixed in, slice of crustless quiche and some carrots with hummus.

Dinner has been quite varied but I'm usually only 2 mmol up when I test after.

Snacks have been things like a handful of nuts, celery with peanut butter, snack bag of cathedral city cheese etc.

On average my carb intake has come down from around 200g to 70-90.

I treated it with 4 jelly babies followed by some peanut butter on crackers.

That was horrible, I didn't notice any of the warning signs I was told about until after I took the reading before bed. I think because I've had most of the warning signs almost constantly because I'm used to having a much higher BG level?

I take the Humulin twice a day, 12 hours apart.

I've been eating roughly the same thing for breakfast and lunch;

Breakfast: Poached egg, 2 bacon rashers and a slice of wholemeal toast with either peanut butter or avocado.

Lunch: French lentils with some chicken breast mixed in, slice of crustless quiche and some carrots with hummus.

Dinner has been quite varied but I'm usually only 2 mmol up when I test after.

Snacks have been things like a handful of nuts, celery with peanut butter, snack bag of cathedral city cheese etc.

On average my carb intake has come down from around 200g to 70-90.
As you take your insulin twice a day then that means it’s a mixed insulin (both basal and bolus in one). I think everyone has the odd occasion where they don’t know they are hypo. Are your GP or diabetes clinic running tests to see what Type you are?

As you take your insulin twice a day then that means it’s a mixed insulin (both basal and bolus in one). I think everyone has the odd occasion where they don’t know they are hypo. Are your GP or diabetes clinic running tests to see what Type you are?
Yes they sent the blood off on Christmas Eve but said it takes about 6 weeks to get a result.

What does basal and bolus mean? I see people talking about them a lot.

A basal insulin is one you take once or twice a day which keeps your blood glucose stable throughout the day and night so is slow acting and bolus is an insulin that works quickly or relatively quickly which you take for the food you eat and need to match the amount of carbs you eat, different people may have a different ratio of units of insulin to g of carbs, but they may adjust their dose to take account of their pre meal glucose level.
Not easy to get your head around but your diabetic team should talk you through any regimes you end up on.
I think there in a section in the Learning Zone specifically for Type 1 which will describe insulin regimes to give you a bit more understanding.

A basal insulin is one you take once or twice a day which keeps your blood glucose stable throughout the day and night so is slow acting and bolus is an insulin that works quickly or relatively quickly which you take for the food you eat and need to match the amount of carbs you eat, different people may have a different ratio of units of insulin to g of carbs, but they may adjust their dose to take account of their pre meal glucose level.
Not easy to get your head around but your diabetic team should talk you through any regimes you end up on.
I think there in a section in the Learning Zone specifically for Type 1 which will describe insulin regimes to give you a bit more understanding.

Thanks!

So would the NovoRapid I have be a Bolus? They gave me that and said to just keep it in the fridge and forget about it for now.

Thanks!

So would the NovoRapid I have be a Bolus? They gave me that and said to just keep it in the fridge and forget about it for now.
Yes it would. I suspect they don't want you to use it for now as you would need some training about dosage and carbs etc. to be safe.

There are, and always were, different types of Humulin though - Humulin S, Humulin I, Humulin M2, M3, M5........ all different and lasting for different lengths of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back