HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullipepper

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in May this year with a hba1c of 7.4% confirmed by 2nd test. With metformin and low carb diet I have lost a stone and today my hba1c is 6.1% does this mean I'm no longer diabetic

Once you are diagnosed as diabetic you are always classified as diabetic. However you can be classed as in remission
if you manage a non-diabetic HbA1c after at least three months of no medication

Once you are diagnosed as diabetic you are always classified as diabetic. However you can be classed as in remission
if you manage a non-diabetic HbA1c after at least three months of no medication
Thank you. I still have a lot of weight to lose so guess I have to keep working at it. The metformin may have helped too.

Congratulations on your great weight loss and HbA1c reduction. I struggle to relate to the old % measurements but that 6.1% looks to be just into the pre diabetic zone (approx 43-44mmols/mol.)

Under a new international ruling that 6.1% would get you a label of remission if you could maintain a reading under 48 for 3 months without medication, so that is something to discuss with your nurse or doctor and perhaps work towards, but great progress so far.

Loosing a stone and a half and dropping your HbA1c is a great achievement - you should be proud of what you have achieved even if you still have a bit to go. I'm no good at conversions but I think 6.1% corresponds to 43 which is just prediabetic and much better than the 7.4 which is a 57. Well done!

Congratulations on your great proress so far @Sullipepper - Onwards and downwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back