Hba1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've noticed that HBA1C and carbohydrate to insulin ration has come up on a few threads, especially the HBA1C. Could anyone explain what these are? Will it be something that is discussed at the DSNs clinic. I'll be attending my first clinic to see how I'm coping with my levels and injections. I take Lantus (24 hour) and Apidra 3 times a day. I really don't know what to ask at the first clinic. Is there anything I could put on a list of questions (questions being Nil at the moment as I haven't a clue what I should be asking). Any help/advice would be great thank you.

Hi Locar. The HBA1C indicated how well controlled your blood sugars have been in the previous 8 to 12 weeks (depends on the person). There is a link (above the rt in the web address) at the top of this page which will give more information.

The carbohydrate to insulin ratio would be used to work out how much insulin you would take with a meal. It allows you greater flexibility in what you eat as you tailor your dose to what you are eating. I guess at the moment you have been asked to stick to a certain amount of carbohydrate at each meal and have been given a set dose. I am sure someone will be along to explain it better soon.

Hi Margie, Yes, I'm on a set dose at the moment, but have been advised that nothing is out of bounds, no counting of carbs (wouldn't know how to do that if i tried), just to include carbs at every meal. I seen the dietician before leaving hospital and she explained that everything in moderation is fine. Just change to low fat alternatives as they tend to have less sugar, especially tomato sauce. My weight, BMI and exercise routine are all grand so they haven't made any suggested changes to diet. I like the sound of keeping my Friday night goodies time (a choc bar, small but heavenly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back