Hba1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERICS MUM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My first result after a couple of months on metformin was 6.00 which my nurse said was good.

I'm due to have my next test in the next week or so and I'm worried that it will show that I've eaten a lot of choc/mince pies etc over the past few days 😱

All my bs tests have been below 8 over this period, but I assume I have had higher spikes.

My question (at last !) - does the Hba1c result show the total amount of sugar I've eaten or the average? How does it compare with the bs readings I've had? What I mean is if my bs readings have been OK (all under 8), will my Hba1c results also be OK ?

Hope this makes sense 🙄

Thanks

Linda

My first result after a couple of months on metformin was 6.00 which my nurse said was good.

I'm due to have my next test in the next week or so and I'm worried that it will show that I've eaten a lot of choc/mince pies etc over the past few days 😱

All my bs tests have been below 8 over this period, but I assume I have had higher spikes.

My question (at last !) - does the Hba1c result show the total amount of sugar I've eaten or the average? How does it compare with the bs readings I've had? What I mean is if my bs readings have been OK (all under 8), will my Hba1c results also be OK ?

Hope this makes sense 🙄

Thanks

Linda
its something to do with evry 3 months ..... little blip like xmas shouldnt do too much harm as its about the longterm...im sure the correct explaination
will follow soon ...just try not too worry and plug on x

Hi Linda, the HbA1c is a bit like an average over the past 6-12 weeks. As am64 says, the odd naughty day won't really matter in the big scheme of things. I have days where I'm far from perfect and my last 3 HbA1c's have been 5.4%, 5.2% and 5.6% so I speak from experience! If it is a little higher than before, it may be that you're getting more spikes than you realise, but you sound to be doing well so hopefully you'll get a result you will be happy with, and your nurse pleased too!🙂

Welcome to the forum by the way!🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back