Hba1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Hunter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I am due for another HBA1C test this week and even though I have read the info in menue on this website about it I still cant understand what it all means.

I dont remember when I last had it tested, maybe end last year maybe not since I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes early last year?

Will I have to 'fast' for the blood test then drink that yucky Lucozade or was that for something else and I dont have to do anything?

I have been asked to get this test done every 3 months from now on after recently seeing my Dr for a general review of all my medication (not just diabetes).

It was also hinted that I may have a 'low thyroid' problem :( as I am having so much diffuculty losing weight (I seem to be gaining it if anything) and am so tired lately if I close my eyes for longer than a blink I fall asleep 😉 and I wondered how this might affect my (type 2) diabetes if at all?

I am currently on Metformin (500mg) twice a day, plus I dont understand what these actually do for me either! 😱

Thanks

🙂

Hi

I am due for another HBA1C test this week and even though I have read the info in menue on this website about it I still cant understand what it all means.

I dont remember when I last had it tested, maybe end last year maybe not since I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes early last year?

Will I have to 'fast' for the blood test then drink that yucky Lucozade or was that for something else and I dont have to do anything?

I have been asked to get this test done every 3 months from now on after recently seeing my Dr for a general review of all my medication (not just diabetes).

It was also hinted that I may have a 'low thyroid' problem :( as I am having so much diffuculty losing weight (I seem to be gaining it if anything) and am so tired lately if I close my eyes for longer than a blink I fall asleep 😉 and I wondered how this might affect my (type 2) diabetes if at all?

I am currently on Metformin (500mg) twice a day, plus I dont understand what these actually do for me either! 😱

Thanks

🙂
Dear Ghost Hunter,

If you are only having an HbA1c test then you will not be required to fast. This test measures the percentage of Haemoglobin in your blood that has cross linked with glucose. Since the life of haemoglobin is 2 to 3 months the reading tells how well you glucose control was over the same period. The higher the blood glucose the more cross linking and thus the higher the reading! You will not be required to drink glucose or anything else for that matter – they will just take a sample of your blood.

Metformin appears to reduce Insulin Resistance, and since many Doctors believe that type 2 diabetes is caused by insulin resistance, this encourages them to prescribe it. There is also some evidence that Metformin has a protective effect on the circulatory system quite separate from its effect on blood sugar. Recent research suggests that Metformin may stimulate glucose uptake by muscles and inhibit glucose production by the liver. In tests (e.g. UKPDS) people on Metformin did not gain as much weight as those on other regimens.

Regards Dodger

Last edited:
As Dodger says you don't need to fast for your A1c. Diabetes Uk says that we should aim for an A1c of 6.5% or below.
It would be good if you can find out what your last one was then you compare to the current. It's not normally useful getting it tested any more frequently than every 3 months and should be done at least once a year.

good luck

Hi

Thanks both for the advice I undertand it a little more now, still got a lot to learn which is why I love this forum and Diabetes UK.

Thanks

GH 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back