HBa1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowz

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Wow I look at all your numbers in the forum and it scares me, on hospital admission N was 14% 1 month later she is 11.9% :( Crumbs!

we're aiming for 6% or 7% really.

Things will generally change quite quickly once diagnosed and treatment/monitoring commenced, so try not to worry too much. After only a month a lot of the second reading will include most of the first (if you see what I mean!).

From what I have read I think children find it more difficult to get into the 6s because of all the growing, hormones, shifting activity patterns, childhood illnesses etc. so don't stress too much on getting below 7 (I'll probably get corrected by loads of parents now for saying that! )

Things will generally change quite quickly once diagnosed and treatment/monitoring commenced, so try not to worry too much. After only a month a lot of the second reading will include most of the first (if you see what I mean!).

From what I have read I think children find it more difficult to get into the 6s because of all the growing, hormones, shifting activity patterns, childhood illnesses etc. so don't stress too much on getting below 7 (I'll probably get corrected by loads of parents now for saying that! )

No you wont - your right.😉 Because of the growth hormones and other things it is much harder to get a hba1c of 7% or under - unless the child is suffering lots of hypo's. There are only 15% of children in the UK with a hba1c of 7% or under so this shows you how hard it can be - luckily for us we are in the 15% - but it has taken us two years and lots of hard work to get there and we havent been through the teenagers years yet. This is very early days for you so dont worry at all about it - leave it for another 5 or 6 months and see what it is then and if its not coming down at all then there may be a need for more monitoring or change of regime - so try not to worry. It can also cause problems if it drops too quickly - so let it happen at a steady rate.🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back