HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joyce2730

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been between 44 and 51 for about 4 years now and the nurse wants to prescribe Metformin in 12 weeks time - I feel devastated as I thought I was doing well with diet and exercise. Am I thinking incorrect?

It’s pretty good but the target is to be consistently below 48 for T2s and sounds like yours is a bit over that?. Getting your levels down below the prediabetic/diabetic range could help reduce your risk of long term complications so worth giving the metformin a go? If you’re not starting it for 12 weeks though then sounds like you’ve got time to try some more lifestyle changes first though.

Last edited:
Well done for managing to keep your HbA1c down at the lower end of things @Joyce2730

The changes you’ve made seem like they have been working well for you.

It’s not uncommon for a person’s HbA1c to naturally rise slightly with age as the years go by. Have you been seeing a more consistent upward trend recently? Or have things always wobbled up and down?

Metformin generally works gently in the background by improving insulin sensitivity, and reducing the amount of glucose trickled out by the liver. Is there any reason why you would prefer to avoid taking it? It may just give your metabolism a gentle helping hand.

As you have hovered just in the bottom end of the diabetic zone for a while I wonder if the dietary advise you have been following has not been the best.
To get yourself below that threshold may need some tightening up on your carbohydrate intake, even metformin needs dietary changes so maybe now is time to look at that and have an approach that enjoyable as then it will be sustainable.
Have a look at this link as there is a good explanation and some do's and don'ts as well as some menu ideas and recipes.

It may be worth considering, if you are aged above 60, that the average HbA1c of NON-diabetics in that age group is 47.5.

Thanks for all the replies - I am aged 65 and do eat far too many carbohydrates. I have been doing Slimming World for the past 6 months but it hasn't been going well. I am now trying various forms of intermittent fasting.
I am against Metformin because I have heard it gives diarrhea and weight gain?
I am going to try hard for the next 12 weeks and then perhaps give Metformin a try. I have had to take many psychiatric meds over the years and I believe they have given me diabetes 2.

Thanks for all the replies - I am aged 65 and do eat far too many carbohydrates. I have been doing Slimming World for the past 6 months but it hasn't been going well. I am now trying various forms of intermittent fasting.
I am against Metformin because I have heard it gives diarrhea and weight gain?
I am going to try hard for the next 12 weeks and then perhaps give Metformin a try. I have had to take many psychiatric meds over the years and I believe they have given me diabetes 2.

Metformin doesn't cause problems with everyone, the majority of people who take it have no problems.
It doesn't cause weight gain - it's actually associated with weight loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back