Hba1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny 78

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi I have never been diabetic but recently had an HBa1c test which came back at 51 blood test form says possible diabetic so have to have a retest next week does anyone know if 51 is classed as diabetic I am quite worried thanks for any help

Yes, 51 is diabetic.

hi I have never been diabetic but recently had an HBa1c test which came back at 51 blood test form says possible diabetic so have to have a retest next week does anyone know if 51 is classed as diabetic I am quite worried thanks for any help
Yes it is diabetic but looking at your age in your profile there is some new guidance that suggests more leeway for more mature people if they are not experiencing symptoms, However there is much to recommend making some changes to your diet to get it down and so it does not start to creep up into a more dangerous zone.
I think you said in your other thread that your husband was Type 2 so it would make it easier as you could be having the same sort of meals to help with your own situation if you don't already do so.

If you are only just over the threshold (48) and no symptoms then they sometimes don't confirm diabetes until you have a second test of 48 or more, hence there is a little confusion because yes, 51 is in the diabetic range but it's possible this was an inflated result due to something other than diabetes, so they will confirm with a second test at some point in the next 2-3 months I would expect and if you are still 48 or more, then they will confirm your diagnosis.

If you are only just over the threshold (48) and no symptoms then they sometimes don't confirm diabetes until you have a second test of 48 or more, hence there is a little confusion because yes, 51 is in the diabetic range but it's possible this was an inflated result due to something other than diabetes, so they will confirm with a second test at some point in the next 2-3 months I would expect and if you are still 48 or more, then they will confirm your diagnosis.
That is also my understanding and I think I've read exactly that requirement for a confirmatory test in the NICE Guideline or protocol for diagnosing T2.

Mine was 51 when I was diagnosed too, 12 weeks and with a lot of hard work have lost 2 stone and got it down to 41
Fantastic, I hope you have found a dietary regime that is enjoyable and is now your new way of eating so you keep it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back