HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have just had my planned operation canceled due to a high HbA1c reading, how can I reduce this quickly?
Regards

Kev

I have just had my planned operation canceled due to a high HbA1c reading, how can I reduce this quickly?
Regards

Kev
Oh dear that is a shame.
Having a blood glucose monitor so you can do some home testing is something people find helpful in checking progress and keeping on track rather than waiting for the infrequent HbA1C testing.
Bringing blood glucose down quickly can have unwanted consequences as some people can get issues with their eyes and nerves but I know it can be tempting when a surgery depends on it.
Were you told what your HbA1C is and how do you normally manage your condition as that will affect what additional measures you will be able to take.
Have a look at this link for some ideas that MAY be suitable depending on your current regime https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Just a point that people are advised not to use their e-mail as their username as it is open to spammers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regards

Kev

Welcome, Kev 🙂 Are you on any meds for the diabetes? What was your HbA1C? What would an average day’s food look like for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome.
Sorry to hear your operation has been postponed due to high glucose levels, but hopefully you will be able to get things back on track soon.

First thing to ask is what is your HbA1c and how do you manage your diabetes? ie What medication, if any, do you take and what dietary changes have you made prior to this situation arising?
Also, are you able to exercise?

Sorry to hear about your cancelled op @kevinc :(

It can be easier on the body to reduce a high HbA1c fairly gradually over a number of months, depending on your starting point.

Getting the right balance between meds (if you are taking any) and your menu / way of eating and level of activity can be a very effective way of reducing average glucose levels.

PS I’ve altered your forum username to make sure your email address was not too easily guessable by spammers 🙂

Regards

Kev
The HbA1c is skewed to the last ten days with a tail stretching back 12 weeks. Go Low Carb for at least ten days. And then adjust diet and exercise regime for the long term.

Were you given the HbA1c result, a target HbA1c you need to reach before the surgery can go ahead and a date for a retest?

Sorry to hear about your cancelled op @kevinc :(

It can be easier on the body to reduce a high HbA1c fairly gradually over a number of months, depending on your starting point.

Getting the right balance between meds (if you are taking any) and your menu / way of eating and level of activity can be a very effective way of reducing average glucose levels.

PS I’ve altered your forum username to make sure your email address was not too easily guessable by spammers 🙂
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back