HBa1C

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPixels

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hmm,

Just checked with the receptionist at my GP pratice. There was I thinking that I was having a blood test to check my HBa1C more frequently than annually. The last one was done in March so I would have thought one would be due in September. Apparently I don't get another until March next year. Kind of defeats the object if the result is a three monthly average? Or maybe I'm being impatient?...

Once your levels are reasonably stable and at a safe level, then you generally just get an annual check up.

Once your levels are reasonably stable and at a safe level, then you generally just get an annual check up.
Had one to confirm diagnosis in September last year and another in March, so about right then? Not sure there's anything other than two results to confirm stability though...

I would have thought at least six monthly given how early you are in diagnosis. That's what I had for at least 3-4 years following diagnosis in 2010. But as we've seen with other threads, no two surgeries seem to operate in exactly the same way.

I'd recommend buying your own glucose monitor. Both evaluate your levels, & which foods you can tolerate & in what quantities.

I would have thought at least six monthly given how early you are in diagnosis. But I'd recommend buying your own glucose monitor to both evaluate your levels & which foods you can tolerate, & in what quantities.
Thanks, yes I thought six monthly. I do use a meter and that was a very insightful suggestion when I fist joined the forum.

Hmm,

Just checked with the receptionist at my GP pratice. There was I thinking that I was having a blood test to check my HBa1C more frequently than annually. The last one was done in March so I would have thought one would be due in September. Apparently I don't get another until March next year. Kind of defeats the object if the result is a three monthly average? Or maybe I'm being impatient?...
Annually sounds normal unless your last one was extremely high. Mines high and so 9 monthly instead of annually

I had bloods at 3 months after diagnosis, another 3 months, 6 months then annual. It's a bit of a postcode lottery @MrPixels, it's good that they are following up on your request. Best of luck.

Congratulations on a great result! Well done!

Hmm,

I'm supposed to have them six monthly, but have to make the appointments as the surgery never chases me.

I had bloods at 3 months after diagnosis, another 3 months, 6 months then annual. It's a bit of a postcode lottery @MrPixels, it's good that they are following up on your request. Best of luck.
and a good outcome, so glad I pushed a bit to get the test repeated. Now onto yearly HBa1C testing...

My surgery does my hba1c tests six-monthly but midway between those I have private tests, so have maintained a three-monthly regimen. I do this to get good advance notice should there be any sign of drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back