HBA1C

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessmb73

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello all,

I am after some advice. I have a beautiful daughter who has had a few tummy issues recently. GP ran some bloods and her HBA1C came back as 43. She is of a normal height and weight, and is a very active, sporty little girl. I’m so confused by what this means. She’s been referred to an endocrinologist but this isn’t until October, and has a repeat HBA1C next week. Does anyone have any advice please?

The advice would be don’t panic.
Easier said than done I know but let the doctors get to the bottom of what’s going on.

Can you share any more details?

Sorry, there’s not really much more to share, all of her other blood tests are normal. She complains a lot about tummy aches, and has diarrhoea a couple of times a week. I’ve read so much information online but none of it seems to be very relevant. I’m just worried, but not sure of the next steps to take.

Sorry, there’s not really much more to share, all of her other blood tests are normal. She complains a lot about tummy aches, and has diarrhoea a couple of times a week. I’ve read so much information online but none of it seems to be very relevant. I’m just worried, but not sure of the next steps to take.
Have they done a basic coeliac test?

I’m assuming anemia has been ruled out if she’s had full blood count ? This can falsely raise hba1c. I’m also wondering her age

Also has she had covid recently or an infection of any type

She’s 6 years old, a couple of recent ear infections but nothing else of note.

Though HbA1c is a direct measure of long-term sugar levels, diabetes is not the only cause of high values. Sleep disorders, gum disease, H. pylori infections, chronic inflammation, and anemia can also increase HbA1c

Found the above, long shot but H. Pylori cause gastrointestinal distress and inflammation. Maybe a connection to look in to

With children stomach issues are related to something going on at school that is causing her stress. Is there something with her school lunch when she becomes unwell. Tummy upsets in small children are quite common as infections pass around easily in a school environment
An HbA1C of 43mmol/mol would put an adult in the prediabetes or at risk range so indicates a reduced ability to cope with carbohydrates but I don't know if that applies to children.
Maybe keep an eye on how much sweet stuff she is having. Although it is considered healthy, fruit and fruit juice are very high carbs so moderation might be a good idea.

I have just thought my grand daughter who is 12 had stomach pains for about a week and neither of her parents both doctors could figure out what was wrong so in the end too her to A & E and they did a ultra sound but couldn't find anything wrong but said it could be just 'growing pains' which can affect all the body not just joints. She was unwell for another day then right as rain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back