hba1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosalindb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
I got my results back from blood test last week. Its down from 52 to 48, I am so disappointed as I thought I had done better. Suppose lower is better than higher though.

Have you been eating low carb? That was what did the trick for me, but I did need to go down to what is considered low levels to get that result.
It might be that you are not a plain ordinary type 2, and further tests are required.
What length of time was there between the two tests, and what would you be eating on an average sort of day?

I got my results back from blood test last week. Its down from 52 to 48, I am so disappointed as I thought I had done better. Suppose lower is better than higher though.
You are doing well, it is better to go slowly as you are less likely to get issues with your eyes and nerves.
So keep going as you are and you will get there in another few months.

Have you been eating low carb? That was what did the trick for me, but I did need to go down to what is considered low levels to get that result.
It might be that you are not a plain ordinary type 2, and further tests are required.
What length of time was there between the two tests, and what would you be eating on an average sort of day?
It was 5 months between tests. Maybe I will need to be more careful and go back to one small meal a day (a side plate size) but that leaves me hungry all the time but if needs must I'll just need to go hungry lol

You are doing well, it is better to go slowly as you are less likely to get issues with your eyes and nerves.
So keep going as you are and you will get there in another few months.
Thank you for your positivity

Well done on the HbA1c reduction. It all counts no matter how big or small, the important thing is that it is in the right direction.

There is no reason why you should go hungry on a low carb diet. You can eat salad and veggies to fill you up. It is about changing the foods you eat not restricting what you eat..... so less bread and rice and potatoes and pasta but more salad and green veggies and coleslaw (I am a big fan of coleslaw.... especially cheese coleslaw)) and a bit more meat unless you are vegetarian and perhaps more fat unless you have a lot of weight to lose.
I always have low carb foods in the house that I can tuck into if I am hungry or I come in late and can't be bothered to cook. Tonight I have had a tub of feta stuffed peppadew peppers (I am addicted to these things 🙄 ), 3 x high meat content (95%) chipolata sausages some mature cheddar and some pickled beetroot.... Oh... and a quarter of a square of dark 75% chocolate with a teaspoon of crunchy peanut butter. Feeling like I have had lots of treats and tasty food but not many carbs and certainly not feeling hungry or deprived in any way.

Well done on your steady reduction @rosalindb

Keep doing what you are doing, and make sure it is sustainable long-term. Diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint, and you don’t want to make your self miserable and fall ‘off the wagon’ because you are pushing for faster changes. Slow and steady wins the race 🙂

48mmol/mol for more than 3 months with no diabetes meds counts as diabetes in remission 🙂

Well done for getting your numbers down. You are healthier because of it and you can keep this up and improve on it. The most important thing is that you feel better and can keep on with it.

I agree with @rebrascora - no need to go hungry while reducing carbs.
I am pretty sure I feel much fuller and stay feeling full much more than I used to prior to my diagnosis and change to very low carb eating. I am well under five feet tall so I think that might explain why I need to stay under 20g carbs a day to keep my numbers down.

A very generous food day for me would see me having a couple of eggs and a couple of slices of bacon for breakfast with a cup of decaf coffee, plenty of water to drink through the day and sometimes decaf coffee or tea.

lunch - half a ribeye steak with a leafy green salad (a whole ready washed bag if I can manage it) a couple of radishes and a couple of cherry tomatoes with an oil and vinegar dressing or a spoonful of Hellmann's organic mayonnaise and if I still have room an inch square of brie or mature cheddar.

In the evening I have a chunk of cucumber and maybe a mug cake if I am in the mood for something sweet - made with a dessertspoon of almond flour, half a dessertspoon of coconut flour, a teaspoon of sweetener (erythritol is my choice) a teaspoon of 100% cocoa powder, a teaspoon of ground flax seeds, a teaspoon of psyllium powder, half a teaspoon of baking powder, mixed together and then add some zero carb almond or pea milk and then zap in the microwave and top with a tablespoon of extra thick double cream.

Or if I am in a savoury mood I might make myself a plate of chips from chipped celeriac root and fried in olive oil and have that with a piece of fish coated in pea protein and also fried. If I didn't have two eggs for breakfast I might make myself a fried egg to dip my chips in. Though I generally don't like using sucralose this is one meal where I enjoy having ketchup so I use Heinz no added sugar ketchup which I mix with vinegar to make it go further for fewer carbs.

That is a lot of food and fewer than 20g carbs in total over the whole day. Eating like that has kept my numbers around the 42 - 46 mark for my hba1c each year for three years now.
I have found that keeping a bit active immediately after eating seems to help too. Stuff like light housework or listening to music and waving my arms around like a bonkers orchestra conductor!! Also doing things that reduce my stress levels and drinking plenty of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back