HBA1C Update and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshRoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone.

So when I was diagnosed in February my HBA1C result was 69 and I made changes to my diet - less chocolate, sugar, sweets, cut out white carbs, more water, sugar free things etc.
Started on Metformin twice a day and then up to 3 times a day after a week and Im still taking it.
Ive lost a stone in weight.

I had blood tests done again ready to see my diabetic nurse again when the appointment comes through and had my results a few days ago and my HBA1C is now 46.

Recently though I have noticed I seem to be having what I would call a sugar dip.

My general eating routine was
breakfast about 8-8.30am
lunch at 12
snack about 2.30-3
dinner about 5.30
snack or glass of milk before bed about 8

With the kids being off school though I have found my routine has somewhat gone out the window and I was obviously catering to them more than myself with snacks so there was nothing diabetic friendly in the house. And I noticed I was having what felt like sugar dips, now Ive done a shop to suit me, and have things on hand I know I can snack on and Im feeling better just lacking a bit of motivation.

Does this sound right?
Does anyone else get sugar dips if they are out of routine?

And I noticed I was having what felt like sugar dips, now Ive done a shop to suit me, and have things on hand I know I can snack on and Im feeling better just lacking a bit of motivation.
Did you test your blood sugar when you felt ill or are you just guessing that it was hypos?

Did you test your blood sugar when you felt ill or are you just guessing that it was hypos?

I was given a blood glucose test meter when I went to my first diabetes appointment but was told I shouldn't really need to use it so hadn't really until I felt off. When the diabetes nurse checked me it was about 2 hours after lunch and I was at 7 which she said was perfect - Im given to understand that between 6-9 is classed as a normal range.

But when I was feeling unwell and a bit shaky I did do a test and my lowest was 4.9 (at which point I had a sweet cup of tea and a few biscuits) again this was the day I hadnt snacked or eaten anything other than 3 meals and was out of routine. I tested a few hours later and was back in normal range again.

But when I was feeling unwell and a bit shaky I did do a test and my lowest was 4.9 (at which point I had a sweet cup of tea and a few biscuits)
4.9 is a completely normal blood sugar so having sweet tea and a few biscuits will have sent your blood sugar sky high. I’d guess you’ve been having blood sugars that are too high and need to let your body experience normal blood sugars so you can get used to them again.

I was given a blood glucose test meter when I went to my first diabetes appointment but was told I shouldn't really need to use it so hadn't really until I felt off. When the diabetes nurse checked me it was about 2 hours after lunch and I was at 7 which she said was perfect - Im given to understand that between 6-9 is classed as a normal range.

But when I was feeling unwell and a bit shaky I did do a test and my lowest was 4.9 (at which point I had a sweet cup of tea and a few biscuits) again this was the day I hadnt snacked or eaten anything other than 3 meals and was out of routine. I tested a few hours later and was back in normal range again.
The range you want to be aiming at is 4-7mmol/l before meals and no more than 8mmol/l 2 hours post meal. The more consistently you are within those parameters the more likely your HbA1C will be normal.
The 9 your nurse suggested is a bit higher than most people would like to be.
I suspect you were feeling a bit wobbly even though your blood glucose was not actually in hypo territory as you have been having some highish levels.
You may benefit for doing some pre and 2 hour post meal testing to see if there are any problem foods. You should be aiming at no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase from your meal.

T2's generally don't get 'sugar dips' when just taking metformin (It can happen when used in conjunction with alcohol and heavy exercise).

4.9 is fine, a normal reading. Looks like the weight loss and change of lifestyle is doing its job!

Not sure why you needed to drink some sugar for it.

I'm all new to having diabetes and like I said I haven't really used the monitor very much so I greatly appreciate all your input. I havent been shown how to use it or how to monitor readings etc as my nurse said I didn't really need to use it.

I was told by my diabetic nurse when she tested me in the clinic with the finger prick test that 7 was fine. She said if I was to go below 2 then I would need to ring an ambulance. So I'm only going by what the diabetic nurse told me.
It does say on the side of the test strips I have for my monitor that a normal range is between 6 - 9 which is what I had been going by. I generally sit around a 6.

I'm due to see my nurse again as soon as my appointment comes through but I asked the receptionist at the medical centre for my HBA1C level so thats how I know it has gone down to 46.

Before I was diagnosed I was eating a lot of sugar so it may well be that I am use to having higher levels. Like I said I have been changing my diet and it has only been 2 months.

@Leadinglights - I have noticed with Metformin that when I do eat carbs - even if its wholemeal bread etc that I get some unpleasant side effects the following day so I do try and limit them as much as possible. Thank you for the suggestion - maybe I will do some pre meal and after meal testing to see if there are any other triggers.

First off well done on the HbA1c reduction. Its amazing what can be done by doing the simple things and sticking to it.

Can I suggest that you use your meter to do a bit of systematic testing of how your blood glucose varies? Waking reading, bedtime reading and perhaps before and 2 hours after a meal. After a week or so you will get an idea of the range over which your blood glucose changes during the day. Having that gives you some basis on which to interpret things that might be going on.

The monitors are very easy to use, if you look for a YouTube video for the one you have in conjunction with the instruction leaflet that should have come with it.
I don't think it saying normal range 6-9 applies to what is considered normal.
Have a look at this link to the DUK main site about testing.

It does say on the side of the test strips I have for my monitor that a normal range is between 6 - 9 which is what I had been going by. I generally sit around a 6.
The range on the test strip pot is usually the range between which the control solution should read with those test strips. The meter may come with a little dropper containing control solution or you can usually get a tiny bottle from the manufacturer and you then apply it to a test strip in the same way as you would do with a finger prick test. The instructions usually suggest you place a drop of the control solution on the cap and then offer up the meter with the test strip to it and the meter should give a reading within the range stated on the pot. The instructions on one of my meters was that you should test a strip out of each pot when you open a new pot. I used to do it religiously for months until I realised no-one else bothers and my new meter didn't come with any test solution.

That range on the pot is not an indication of what the normal range for human blood is.

Thank you for the reminder that I needed to order more control solution @rebrascora. It's probably the nurse in me but I do like to check my new pots (and since I have a GlucoRX meter and they give the solution for free....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back