HbA1c up again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonM

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Got the results of my latest HbA and it's 9.7, which is a lot better than I expected given the troubles I've had in the last few months, I thought I'd be up in the 11s again. I have to go back to the doctor on Thursday to discuss my meds.

On the whole though, I feel a lot better today. It's amazing what a little baking powder will do.

You sound a bit relieved even though it has gone up from 7.4 to 9.7

What is the bit about the baking powder? I don't understand - sorry.

Hi Alison, I think if I was your doctor I'd be putting you on insulin now, perhaps just a basal insulin to begin with like levemir or lantus. How would you feel about that?

You sound a bit relieved even though it has gone up from 7.4 to 9.7

What is the bit about the baking powder? I don't understand - sorry.

The Glucophage caused Lactic Acidosis which is a Ph imbalance in the blood, the cure for which is a solution of baking powder. Now the debate is what do they put me on next, insulin or some other kind of pill. I am relieved about the HbA result because my numbers have been so erratic these past three months that I was expecting to be up in the 11s at least. There was a period of three weeks when I was in the teens and odd times into the twenties.

Hi Alison, I think if I was your doctor I'd be putting you on insulin now, perhaps just a basal insulin to begin with like levemir or lantus. How would you feel about that?

I'm not sure how I feel, if it's a pen thing I might be able to do it. but I'm a bit nervous of the injecting myself thing. I suppose I'll get used to it though and it might make things easier to control.

I'm not sure how I feel, if it's a pen thing I might be able to do it. but I'm a bit nervous of the injecting myself thing. I suppose I'll get used to it though and it might make things easier to control.

I would say it would almost certainly be a pen and it would probably be about the same level of complexity, but should bring better levels as you would have more control. I do think I'm lucky in that respect, in that I never got the chance to discover diabetes without insulin so there was no sense of having a 'choice' in the matter. Having said all that, as you say things have been rather difficult in the weeks leading up to this HbA1c, so it may be that things will improve again without insulin.

...Having said all that, as you say things have been rather difficult in the weeks leading up to this HbA1c, so it may be that things will improve again without insulin.

Oh aye, and I might win the lottery too! This is me we're talking about remember, I never do things the easy way.😱

Last edited:
Hi Alison sorry to hear about your rise in hbA but on the whole you dont sound to disheartned hun,hope things go well on Thursday for you, maybe the byetta route or victoza could be discussed before insulin.There all still pens that you have to inject but it is mind over matter once you get used to it you will wonder what all the fuss is about, took me to the third jab before i was brave enough to do it o/h had to do first 2 lol x

I wondered what the baking powder was for Alison. Now I have learned something new.

Regarding the numbers, I always get a bit worried if there is a rise. 9 times out of ten they are followed by an infection.

I'm a real scaredy cat when it comes to needles. Really.

Image:Sylvester_J_Pussycat.png
sylvesterjpussycat_1.png

The ones used these days with insulin pens are virtually pain free. I know. I recently tried sticking one in my tummy and I didn't go ow or flinch.

In an attempt to try and gain some control over my BGs I've just been and bought around a three months supply of cinnamon capsules. Reports suggest the stuff helps and I have a Type 2 friend who swears by it so I reckon it has to be worth a go.

Question, should I start taking them right away, wait till I'm on the new med(s), or leave it till I see what the new pills/jabs do?

Either way, rather than wait to test till I feel ill or odd, I'm going to be testing at regular intervals in the day for the moment to try and establish what's happening to my numbers.

In an attempt to try and gain some control over my BGs I've just been and bought around a three months supply of cinnamon capsules. Reports suggest the stuff helps and I have a Type 2 friend who swears by it so I reckon it has to be worth a go.

Question, should I start taking them right away, wait till I'm on the new med(s), or leave it till I see what the new pills/jabs do?

Either way, rather than wait to test till I feel ill or odd, I'm going to be testing at regular intervals in the day for the moment to try and establish what's happening to my numbers.

Good plan 🙂 I'd wait and see what the new meds do first, and then see if things are further improved by the cinnamon capsules - otherwise you probably won't know if they are effective and may end up spending money on them in the future when they aren't actually contributing anything.

Good plan 🙂 I'd wait and see what the new meds do first, and then see if things are further improved by the cinnamon capsules - otherwise you probably won't know if they are effective and may end up spending money on them in the future when they aren't actually contributing anything.
That's what I was thinking. I'm just getting desperate because it hasn't seemed to matter so far what I do, nothing works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back