HBA1c test

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkjude

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am due mine on this week. Is liver function testing carried out as part of it or does that have to be requested? I know my GP wants cholesterol included

I am due mine on this week. Is liver function testing carried out as part of it or does that have to be requested? I know my GP wants cholesterol included
It may depend on your surgery but mine normally include FBC and U & Es and a few others. They issue a blood test form with things ticked that you have to take elsewhere as they don't take blood at the surgery. You can then see what tests have been requested.

Unfortunately, this is one of those "it depends" situations.
Earlier this year, I had a GP surgery led diabetes review. The only bloods they took were for Hba1C testing. However, my annual diabetes review for my diabetes clinic take multiple vials and do multiple test.

This is for my annual review. Never had liver function before but just wondered.

It may depend on your surgery but mine normally include FBC and U & Es and a few others. They issue a blood test form with things ticked that you have to take elsewhere as they don't take blood at the surgery. You can then see what tests have been requested.
I have my bloods taken by the phlebotamist at the surgery and when I rang to book it the receptionist asked if I had spoken to the GP. I said yes and he wanted cholesterol included

What are FBC and U and E's

When you go to have the blood drawn just double check that the right boxes have been ticked with the nurse/phlebotomist.

My last blood test had liver function included, none of the others have. I figured it was a check for fatty liver disease.

Hi there! We would advise querying this when you go for your hba1c appointment, just to ere on the side of caution 🙂

At the GP they usually do the whole lot when they do HbA1C but I always ask as I want to know what is happening. As I have cancer and regular CT scans I have additional liver and kidney function tests.

At the GP they usually do the whole lot when they do HbA1C but I always ask as I want to know what is happening. As I have cancer and regular CT scans I have additional liver and kidney function tests.
when I asked I was told HBA1c, full blood count , cholesterol and kidney function. When I arrived the receptionist gave me a urine sample tube. Thats unusual because normally I am asked to take the sample to my review. I was told the GP will ring me with the results rather than see a nurse.. Sorry to hear you have cancer too

Glad you’ve got confirmations of which checks are being made @pinkjude

Hope the follow-up phone appointment goes well and the results provide reassurance that things are moving in the right direction 🙂

My GP is apparently ringing tomorrow to discuss the results which always makes me nervous! As my husband said surely anything really abnormal would have merited a more urgent call. I suspect the cholesterol is high but will let you know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back