Hba1c test coming up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beancounter298

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm due for my first test since diagnosis next week.
I know that this shows an averages over the past few months but will it make any difference whether I have eaten beforehand and, if so, when?
The rest is at 9am and I don't normally eat breakfast but my blood sugar levels have tended to be higher first thing
I suspect it won't make any difference to the test results but wanted to check

Thank you

Hi @Beancounter298. As you say, HbA1c looks at the long term variation in your blood glucose and as you say, what your blood glucose was doing around the time of your test will not affect the result to an extent that the test will pick up. You can go for the test with the confidence that the test will tell you how things are going.

Thanks for the confirmation, I'm really hoping for reduced numbers. I've lost a stone since my first test at the end of November (although I wasn't overweight) and my finger prick numbers are coming down

I'm due for my first test since diagnosis next week.
I know that this shows an averages over the past few months but will it make any difference whether I have eaten beforehand and, if so, when?
The rest is at 9am and I don't normally eat breakfast but my blood sugar levels have tended to be higher first thing
I suspect it won't make any difference to the test results but wanted to check

Thank you
The HbA1c is skewed towards the last ten days. So if you have been 'good' recently you could have a marked improvement.

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie in this group. My HbA1c is relatively high, currently on 10.6% MOL. I need to improve it in two weeks before returning to work.

Is there any advise you can give me to try and speed up the process?

I'm on Insulin and Metformin 850mg at the moment and my sugar levels are dropping noticeably, the lowest I had was 6.7 in the Morning.

Thank you

You can't reduce, or increase an HbA1c result by more than an eyelash-worth in a fortnight!

Who on earth is telling you that you have to?

I need to improve it in two weeks before returning to work.
Why? It’s a measure of glucose over 3 months not 2 weeks.

There’s some general information about HbA1c here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back