HBA1c targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaffp

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've just been to see the nurse and while I was there she was checking up whether I'm upto date with appointments for eyes etc. I'm due to get an HBA1c test done any day (and slightly worried that it will be worse than last time) but ... earlier in the year it was 6.2 - not too bad I thought but apparently my target range is 6.1 - 3.9 😱. Would they really be happy if I went that low? Has anyone else been told it's ok to aim that low? Sorry I just found it a bit mindblowing. What do you think?

Kathy

Hi Kath ....

This is a bit of a tricky one for me to answer as Nathan is type 1 diabetic ... But I would be horrified if they wanted his HbA1c to be 3.9 ... 😱

Usually a person with our diabetes is anywhere between 4.1-6.1%

Ideal diabetes control is between 6-7%

Personally I would say that your HbAc1 is brilliant.

Heidi
xx🙂

Well, I've heard of some Americans who have done some pretty extreme dietary changes (and consequently lifestyle changes) who have got down in the 4.5 sort of area, but never heard of a person down as low as 3.9% on an HbA1c. There's going to be some differences between insulin users and those who are still relying on their own pancreas, but even then I would have thought you'd HAVE to be having hypos for the average to be 3.9 % - as your blood is bound to rise above 5 or 6 at the very least after eating!

Can't be done, surely - certainly not safely! 😱

Well, I've heard of some Americans who have done some pretty extreme dietary changes (and consequently lifestyle changes) who have got down in the 4.5 sort of area, but never heard of a person down as low as 3.9% on an HbA1c. There's going to be some differences between insulin users and those who are still relying on their own pancreas, but even then I would have thought you'd HAVE to be having hypos for the average to be 3.9 % - as your blood is bound to rise above 5 or 6 at the very least after eating!

Can't be done, surely - certainly not safely! 😱

Hi Northerner ...

I agree fully with you here ... 3.9% to me is surely not healthy in any form of diabetes ... Nor could this be achieved or safely.

Heidi
xx🙂

That's what I thought - (I'm on metformin & insulatard overnight to fight the dp - if it makes any difference). I couldn't see how it would be possible to be that low safely - and as for ever being high enough to drive ....

That's what I thought - (I'm on metformin & insulatard overnight to fight the dp - if it makes any difference). I couldn't see how it would be possible to be that low safely - and as for ever being high enough to drive ....

Absolutely! Mine is 5.2% and I can't really see how it could be much lower without serious impairment of my daily life. Your 6.2 is excellent, and you may even join the 5 percenters next time Kathy, but please don't join the 3 percenters!😱🙂

I second what Northerner has ... 6.2 is brilliant ... :D ... Nathan's is 6.8 and I certainly would'nt like or want him to be any where near 4

Heidi
xx🙂

I cant add much really but your numbers seem spot on to me , 3.9 seems very hard target for even the best diabetes x

Perhaps she was confused and was actually talking about your fasting BG levels, not your HbA1c?

No it was on the computer screen - alongside a list of my previous HBA1cs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back