HbA1C Score

Tom1982

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Okay I should probably know this by now, but this one’s actually about me not my daughter. I took one of them, at home general wellbeing, blood tests. My HbA1C was 37. Does that mean I need to stop eating everything in the house when Josie goes to bed!?

37 is in the normal range so no problem. It is never a bad idea to have a rethink and improve your diet though especially if you know you are over indulging. It is easier to stop putting the pounds on than have stones to lose later.... but maybe you are burning off what you are eating,,, Hopefully not too much of it in worry and frustration about Josie's diabetes. 🙄

37 is in the normal range so no problem. It is never a bad idea to have a rethink and improve your diet though especially if you know you are over indulging. It is easier to stop putting the pounds on than have stones to lose later.... but maybe you are burning off what you are eating,,, Hopefully not too much of it in worry and frustration about Josie's diabetes. 🙄
Nah I just love to eat! Im 18 stone but also 6ft 3 so not massive. Is 37 higher than most or is that about the going rate?

Nah I just love to eat! Im 18 stone but also 6ft 3 so not massive. Is 37 higher than most or is that about the going rate?
Anything below 42mmol/mol is normal. The range quoted is 20-41mmol/mol though I have not heard of many who even approach 30 but of course we on here only hear about those who have had a prediabetes or diabetic diagnosis.
What the 'going rate' is will depend on whether someone is diabetic or not.
Many unless diagnosed would not normally know what their HbA1C is as they would not be normally tested unless the GP suspects they may be diabetic.
I suppose some surgeries may do it as part of their Well Person checks when people reach a certain age.

Anything below 42mmol/mol is normal. The range quoted is 20-41mmol/mol though I have not heard of many who even approach 30 but of course we on here only hear about those who have had a prediabetes or diabetic diagnosis.
Many unless diagnosed would not normally know what their HbA1C is as they would not be normally tested unless the GP suspects they may be diabetic.
I suppose some surgeries may do it as part of their Well Person checks when people reach a certain age.
Ah I see. So when you say not many who even approach 30, do you mean get down that low? Or most are below 30?

We have very few people if any on the forum who are in the 20s with their HbA1c. I do wonder if that level might be reserved for children who are not diabetic. 37 is certainly in the normal zone and nothing to worry about.

Ah I see. So when you say not many who even approach 30, do you mean get down that low? Or most are below 30?
Not as low as that. I don't think we can know where most people would be as they wouldn't normally be having a test.

My hubby has an HbA1c done when he has his yearly vascular review, he has a complex heart condition. He’s usually around 35 if that helps. No one has ever mentioned he needs to do anything about it.

Yes it's part of the over 40s health check. That's how my diabetes was diagnosed

Okay I should probably know this by now, but this one’s actually about me not my daughter. I took one of them, at home general wellbeing, blood tests. My HbA1C was 37. Does that mean I need to stop eating everything in the house when Josie goes to bed!?
37 is within the normal (that is, 'not diabetic at all') range. For context, I'm in my early 60s and my Late Onset Type 1 diabetes is very well controlled. My HbA1C score has varied over the past few years from 37-41, which always pleases my health team greatly. Having said that, of course I'm not going to presume to give you advice about your diet 😉.

Back