HBA1C results: No Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn2020

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I wondered if anyone could offer some advice please?

I was diagnosed in 2020. Hba1c was 50. I lost 2 stone and 3 months later it was done to 32. Receptionist gave me the results and said the doctor was happy. I, little by little slipped back into my old way of eating. 1 year later my hba1c was 50 again. I logged into my medical file and got the results. No call from doctor of any advice. The beginning of the year I wasn't feeling well so had my hba1c done again and it had gone up to 73. Got these results online again and again no hears from the doctors since.

I'm really struggling to manage my weight and am unsure as to whether I should be on medication or not. I'm scared all this time my BS has been high, the damage it is doing.

I know that only I can make the changes and I'm trying really hard but I'm so scared I won't be able to do it. I crave all the wrong food and am really struggling after years of eating one way to make the right changes.

Any advice on medication? At what levels were people put on meds.

Thanks

You need to call your doctor and say you have seen your result on line and you need to have the routine checks that you are supposed to have as diabetic, eyes and feet.
You have managed to reduce your level before and you know you can do it again but as your level is now quite high it should be a priority to make some lifestyle changes. At 73mmol/mol it would be likely that medication would be prescribed unless you could be convincing that you would urgently make some substantial dietary changes.
Have a look at this link to see if it will help you make those changes. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

You need to call your doctor and say you have seen your result on line and you need to have the routine checks that you are supposed to have as diabetic, eyes and feet.
You have managed to reduce your level before and you know you can do it again but as your level is now quite high it should be a priority to make some lifestyle changes. At 73mmol/mol it would be likely that medication would be prescribed unless you could be convincing that you would urgently make some substantial dietary changes.
Have a look at this link to see if it will help you make those changes. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Thank you for getting back to me. I am going to ring my doctors tomorrow. I think I've been putting it off, thinking if I can just get a little more time to make the changes.

I will read through the link you send. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum @Autumn2020

Sorry to hear your levels have been creeping back up after you made such great progress before.

Unfortunately the lack of follow-up isn’t entirely unusual in the current climate - the pressure on the primary care system doesn’t seem to show many signs of lifting. And some of the routine follow up stuff is getting really squeezed. :(

If it’s any consolation, diabetes is generally a fairly slow-moving adversary. So hopefully there will be no lasting effects from you higher levels over the past year or two.

Are you aware of further drift in your menu from the approach you used to help manage your diabetes before?

Hopefully you can get some support and advice from your Dr, to try to manage things in a way that suits you.

Thanks for getting back to me Mi
Welcome to the forum @Autumn2020

Sorry to hear your levels have been creeping back up after you made such great progress before.

Unfortunately the lack of follow-up isn’t entirely unusual in the current climate - the pressure on the primary care system doesn’t seem to show many signs of lifting. And some of the routine follow up stuff is getting really squeezed. :(

If it’s any consolation, diabetes is generally a fairly slow-moving adversary. So hopefully there will be no lasting effects from you higher levels over the past year or two.

Are you aware of further drift in your menu from the approach you used to help manage your diabetes before?

Hopefully you can get some support and advice from your Dr, to try to manage things in a way that suits you.
Thank you for getting back to me..

The most frustrating thing is, I know what I need to do and I have so mamy reasons to do it, yet I keep failing. I am so angry with myself. I have always been an emotional eater and I binge eat, so stopping this is so hard and I know how ridiculous that sounds when my life is so much more important.

I know I just need to dig deep and do it but I was worried that I should be on some sort of medication in the mean time to help keep my BS down

Thanks for getting back to me Mi

Thank you for getting back to me..

The most frustrating thing is, I know what I need to do and I have so mamy reasons to do it, yet I keep failing. I am so angry with myself. I have always been an emotional eater and I binge eat, so stopping this is so hard and I know how ridiculous that sounds when my life is so much more important.

I know I just need to dig deep and do it but I was worried that I should be on some sort of medication in the mean time to help keep my BS down
I can't offer much advice but I can offer some understanding, because I am in exactly the same position as you and I hate it. I can't stop thinking about the damage I'm doing to myself, but at the same time I can't stop doing it - even though I know what to do / what not to do. It's like a form of self harm and it's a vicious circle.

Going to see the GP (and nurse equally) and just being basically lectured and spoken to like I'm a child, with no actual practical advice is no help whatsoever - it just makes me feel worse than ever and I have left the surgery in tears before now because of this. They call me in for reviews and do nothing except check my blood pressure, they never check my feet or anything else (and never have) I only get my eye appointments because I arranged that myself so I'm in the system now.

Please keep pushing your GP and if necessary, make an official complaint and follow it through as far as you possibly can.

I can't offer much advice but I can offer some understanding, because I am in exactly the same position as you and I hate it. I can't stop thinking about the damage I'm doing to myself, but at the same time I can't stop doing it - even though I know what to do / what not to do. It's like a form of self harm and it's a vicious circle.

Going to see the GP (and nurse equally) and just being basically lectured and spoken to like I'm a child, with no actual practical advice is no help whatsoever - it just makes me feel worse than ever and I have left the surgery in tears before now because of this. They call me in for reviews and do nothing except check my blood pressure, they never check my feet or anything else (and never have) I only get my eye appointments because I arranged that myself so I'm in the system now.

Please keep pushing your GP and if necessary, make an official complaint and follow it through as far as you possibly can.
I can sympathise because I also get spoken to like I’m a child and it really irritates me beyond all measure.

I’ve lost 5 1/2 stone and exercise hard 3 - 5 times a week yet this is dismissed/ not believed.

I removed a lot of the stressors snd got counselling which helped with the emotional eating.

My levels were 77 when I was diagnosed and I was put straight on metformin

I wonder if you @LancashireLass and @Autumn2020 have been able to find low carb recipes/ingredients that meant you could have the comfort foods you crave without them spiking your blood sugars?

The only reason I have been able to stay under excellent control for three years is because I have the foods I love and I have quick easy fixes so I do not get tempted to eat carby stuff.
While I admit I enjoy cooking most of the time, I am at the same time autistic and have cPTSD and severe anxiety and I am carer to my multiply disabled husband and 90+ year old recently blind and housebound mum, both of whom are autistic too. So I get exhausted and can't always make wonderful meals but I always have stuff tucked away so I can eat something that I love and fills me up without causing my diabetes any problems.

When i know life is going to be busy and stressful and exhausting I boil up a load of eggs and keep them in the fridge and if push comes to shove I just have a couple of cold boiled eggs with plenty of salt and a big drink of zero carb non dairy milk (my current favourite is pea 'milk' called Sproud - my husband who is not on keto nor diabetic prefers it to dairy milk) - I like boiled eggs and they are filling and for a meal now and then or even all day as an emergency they do the trick.

I buy very low carb chocolate bars from the Carb Zone and have a two squares portion (they are big squares) which only have 2g carb per portion - they even have dark chocolate orange. I make creamy desserts with extra thick double cream mixed with 100% cocoa chocolate powder which is negligible carbs in the amount needed and I mix some erythritol in with it and some vanilla extract and it is a fantastic chocolatey dessert and tastes like heaven and has no effect on blood sugars at all.

I buy minced beef and make it into little burgers with some oregano and garlic powder and egg or psyllium husk and cook them up and keep them in the fridge to have with washed bagged salad. I eat entire bags of washed bagged salad with french vinaigrette at meal times and sometimes I eat an entire triangle of Brie for breakfast.

On good days I have sensible meals like an avocado mashed up with mayo and hot sauce (Franks hot sauce is almost zero carbs) and some seeded crackers from the carb zone (I used to make my own but the carbzone ones are even nicer and much easier) and half a ribeye steak with buttery mashed celeriac and microwaved broccoli and other such meals. And I make cup cakes in five minutes flat in the microwave using coconut flour and psyllium and either an egg and butter or double cream and greek yoghurt.
That is just how my tastes go. If you have other preferences then work out what are your carby weaknesses and then make the non carby versions and have them ready for when you need the comfort food.
I think many people 'fail' because they set themselves up for failure by making it about will power instead of about having food that suits you that isn't harmful. You shouldn't need willpower - life is hard enough without making food a battle ground. Be kind to yourselves and have lovely food that is safe for you xxx

I wonder if you @LancashireLass and @Autumn2020 have been able to find low carb recipes/ingredients that meant you could have the comfort foods you crave without them spiking your blood sugars?

The only reason I have been able to stay under excellent control for three years is because I have the foods I love and I have quick easy fixes so I do not get tempted to eat carby stuff.
While I admit I enjoy cooking most of the time, I am at the same time autistic and have cPTSD and severe anxiety and I am carer to my multiply disabled husband and 90+ year old recently blind and housebound mum, both of whom are autistic too. So I get exhausted and can't always make wonderful meals but I always have stuff tucked away so I can eat something that I love and fills me up without causing my diabetes any problems.

When i know life is going to be busy and stressful and exhausting I boil up a load of eggs and keep them in the fridge and if push comes to shove I just have a couple of cold boiled eggs with plenty of salt and a big drink of zero carb non dairy milk (my current favourite is pea 'milk' called Sproud - my husband who is not on keto nor diabetic prefers it to dairy milk) - I like boiled eggs and they are filling and for a meal now and then or even all day as an emergency they do the trick.

I buy very low carb chocolate bars from the Carb Zone and have a two squares portion (they are big squares) which only have 2g carb per portion - they even have dark chocolate orange. I make creamy desserts with extra thick double cream mixed with 100% cocoa chocolate powder which is negligible carbs in the amount needed and I mix some erythritol in with it and some vanilla extract and it is a fantastic chocolatey dessert and tastes like heaven and has no effect on blood sugars at all.

I buy minced beef and make it into little burgers with some oregano and garlic powder and egg or psyllium husk and cook them up and keep them in the fridge to have with washed bagged salad. I eat entire bags of washed bagged salad with french vinaigrette at meal times and sometimes I eat an entire triangle of Brie for breakfast.

On good days I have sensible meals like an avocado mashed up with mayo and hot sauce (Franks hot sauce is almost zero carbs) and some seeded crackers from the carb zone (I used to make my own but the carbzone ones are even nicer and much easier) and half a ribeye steak with buttery mashed celeriac and microwaved broccoli and other such meals. And I make cup cakes in five minutes flat in the microwave using coconut flour and psyllium and either an egg and butter or double cream and greek yoghurt.
That is just how my tastes go. If you have other preferences then work out what are your carby weaknesses and then make the non carby versions and have them ready for when you need the comfort food.
I think many people 'fail' because they set themselves up for failure by making it about will power instead of about having food that suits you that isn't harmful. You shouldn't need willpower - life is hard enough without making food a battle ground. Be kind to yourselves and have lovely food that is safe for you xxx
You are absolutely right that whatever dietary approach you go for has to be enjoyable otherwise it is not going to be sustainable for what has to be the long term.
There is no reason not to have foods that are both tasty and filling, you should not feel hungry and this can be achieved by making sure you have healthy fats, protein alongside lots of vegetables and fruits like berries.
I appreciate it is not so easy for some people as some of the low carb alternatives are more expensive but not all are and it is surprising how much soup a few vegetables will make and be far lower carb and nicer than a tin of bought soup.

You are absolutely right that whatever dietary approach you go for has to be enjoyable otherwise it is not going to be sustainable for what has to be the long term.
There is no reason not to have foods that are both tasty and filling, you should not feel hungry and this can be achieved by making sure you have healthy fats, protein alongside lots of vegetables and fruits like berries.
I appreciate it is not so easy for some people as some of the low carb alternatives are more expensive but not all are and it is surprising how much soup a few vegetables will make and be far lower carb and nicer than a tin of bought soup.
Yes. I have been using a pressure cooker to make soup without it taking ages and tons of power. I also make a chinese takeaway style soup in the microwave with tiny amounts of frozen onion, frozen ginger and frozen garlic and frozen mushrooms and frozen peppers and frozen cooked chicken (one piece of each veggie and a few more of the chicken - cut into thin pieces) and half a kallo stock cube.
Just put the small amount of sliced up frozen stuff into a bowl with the half a stock cube and hot water from kettle.
Zap in microwave on full power until it is bubbling and everything is hot - about three minutes for 900W. Then add a small splosh of soya sauce and I like to add a sprinkle of toasted sesame oil.
It is just like the chinese takeaway soup but nicer and very quick and filling. Sometimes i am naughty and add six peas to make it exactly like the takeaway one!! Oh I almost forgot - top with a spring onion snipped into little pieces with a scissors for fresh green stuff.

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could offer some advice please?

I was diagnosed in 2020. Hba1c was 50. I lost 2 stone and 3 months later it was done to 32. Receptionist gave me the results and said the doctor was happy. I, little by little slipped back into my old way of eating. 1 year later my hba1c was 50 again. I logged into my medical file and got the results. No call from doctor of any advice. The beginning of the year I wasn't feeling well so had my hba1c done again and it had gone up to 73. Got these results online again and again no hears from the doctors since.

I'm really struggling to manage my weight and am unsure as to whether I should be on medication or not. I'm scared all this time my BS has been high, the damage it is doing.

I know that only I can make the changes and I'm trying really hard but I'm so scared I won't be able to do it. I crave all the wrong food and am really struggling after years of eating one way to make the right changes.

Any advice on medication? At what levels were people put on meds.

Thanks

I was more than happy to be straight onto meds at diagnosis.
It gained me a good breathing space to get on top of my lifestyle and turn it around with no pressure.

@NotWorriedAtAll & @Leadinglights I understand what you are both saying and of course it makes perfect sense.....but try telling my brain that when it is in one of it's "phases", that's the problem. Like I said, I know what I should be doing, but for whatever reason I just don't do it. It's like self harm - you know you shouldn't do it but you do anyway because it makes you feel better.

I've had counselling and that really helped, but you only get 7 sessions on the NHS so once they are over, you are basically on your own again. I've lost weight in the past and got my BG levels right down but still, all you get from the GP is "that's great, but....." and it's just a massive kick in the teeth when you feel like you have done so well, which takes me back to "why bother?".

@NotWorriedAtAll & @Leadinglights I understand what you are both saying and of course it makes perfect sense.....but try telling my brain that when it is in one of it's "phases", that's the problem. Like I said, I know what I should be doing, but for whatever reason I just don't do it. It's like self harm - you know you shouldn't do it but you do anyway because it makes you feel better.

I've had counselling and that really helped, but you only get 7 sessions on the NHS so once they are over, you are basically on your own again. I've lost weight in the past and got my BG levels right down but still, all you get from the GP is "that's great, but....." and it's just a massive kick in the teeth when you feel like you have done so well, which takes me back to "why bother?".
I take weight loss entirely out of the equation to begin with and just concentrate on blood sugars. Plus do whatever it takes so it isn't a bother and also take it out of the 'doing this for a reward' and turn it into 'doing this because I want to and it is easy and I like it better than not doing it.'If you have a self harming instinct then focus on making stuff that is incredibly naughty - like pork pies and chips and pizza and cream cakes - if you like them and just have a cream cake for breakfast, or a pork pie or a whole day when you only eat chips - I can point you in the direction of easy to make versions of these that are completely keto but still hit the 'naughty but nice' spot.
These are home made crisps. Shallow fried and made in five minutes. From celeriac into extra virgin oilve oil or ghee - whichever you have, or you could air fry them. Crunchy and taste like extremely good potato ones. Sometimes I have them for breakfast with a keto cream cake if I fancy or a fried egg if I am on a more savoury day.

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 11.02.13 AM.png
That way you are spoiling yourself and hopefully bypassing the 'if I do this I will be rewarded' pathway and instead taking control of your food and making it serve your wants and needs instead of feeling that you are serving your diet grudgingly. Just an idea.

Last edited:
Wow! Those look fantastic. Did you make the recipe up yourself? Are the crisps made by just simply slicing the celeriac and then frying in olive oil or ghee?

Wow! Those look fantastic. Did you make the recipe up yourself? Are the crisps made by just simply slicing the celeriac and then frying in olive oil or ghee?

It works with most veg.
Slice thinly, fry in oil.
Drain, and put onto kitchen towel and season to taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back