HbA1c result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great progress @Riggers

Keep working away at it! How have you been finding things?

Oh sorry, I’m new here and didn’t see that - good luck with it. Sorry again for commenting
No need to apologise - diabetes is a learning experience. Also there are many Type 2 who start with an HbA1c over 100 and bring their level right down. So you are right to be positive you can bring your level down.

Great progress @Riggers

Keep working away at it! How have you been finding things?
Hi Mike,
It has its ups and down! Things seem fairly stable for a few days then my BS will go really high for a day or so (though finger pricks will be as much as 5 different to the Libre) or I’ll have a really low day, when I seem to be almost mainlining jellybabies.
It shoots up after eating so I wonder if I should bolus earlier. The DN said “bolus when your food is on your plate”, but I notice from here that many people take it far earlier. Maybe that will help.

It shoots up after eating so I wonder if I should bolus earlier. The DN said “bolus when your food is on your plate”, but I notice from here that many people take it far earlier. Maybe that will help.

It took a bit of experimentation to work out the better timings for my diabetes - and everyone is different. Dosing when the food is on my plate is the least risky, so your nurse is being cautious I think.

I have to wait until the meal is in front of me in the evenings, but breakfast and lunch levels benefit from a short pre-bolus (waiting after the dose has been delivered for a few minutes before actually eating). Of course it’s a problem if you wait too long, as the food won’t be able to catch up with the dose, but my breakfast and lunch doses do need a bit of a head start. I find it helps to set a countdown timer so I don’t get distracted and leave it too long.

My general rule of thumb is if my levels go high and stay high the dose probably needs looking at. But if my levels go high and then drop back down to pretty much where they were after 4-5 hours the dose is right, but it was a bit late acting, so I start leaving 5 minutes between dose and food, then 10 and gradually increase until I smooth out the peak a little.

I’m happy getting to 9-10 after meals, but if I start seeing lots of 12s and 16s I get a bit grumpy 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back