HBA1C Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valarie27333

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I have been a type2 diabetic for about 20 years. It's been quite well managed, I would say. Unfortunately, for the last 2 years or so, I have had terrible hip pain! Now, I have to have a hip replacement. NHS was over a year waiting list and I can barely walk, so using my partners insurance to go private. At my pre-op appointment my HBA1C was 7.6. I could no longer get Ozempic because of stock shortage and I obviously cannot exercise (Even walking is very painful). Anyway, they wouldn't do the operation because of HBA1C

That was in March 2023. Since this I have been strict low carb and I'm on different meds. I would say my lowest blood sugar us around 4.2 and highest is 7.6 for the last 10-12 weeks. My HBA1C has to be 6.1 or lower to be approved for the operation.

My Blood test is on Friday. Is it possible to bring my HBA1C down that much in 10-12 weeks??? I'm so nervous and desperate for this operation. I am usually such an active person and it's taken it's toll on my mental health!

My daughter's wedding is middle of September and my consultant said he could do my operation June 27th if my HBA1C is acceptable.

Sorry for the rant, but would really appreciate your opinions

Thank you!!

It's certainly possible.

Good luck with the blood test on Friday!

Hello,

I have been a type2 diabetic for about 20 years. It's been quite well managed, I would say. Unfortunately, for the last 2 years or so, I have had terrible hip pain! Now, I have to have a hip replacement. NHS was over a year waiting list and I can barely walk, so using my partners insurance to go private. At my pre-op appointment my HBA1C was 7.6. I could no longer get Ozempic because of stock shortage and I obviously cannot exercise (Even walking is very painful). Anyway, they wouldn't do the operation because of HBA1C

That was in March 2023. Since this I have been strict low carb and I'm on different meds. I would say my lowest blood sugar us around 4.2 and highest is 7.6 for the last 10-12 weeks. My HBA1C has to be 6.1 or lower to be approved for the operation.

My Blood test is on Friday. Is it possible to bring my HBA1C down that much in 10-12 weeks??? I'm so nervous and desperate for this operation. I am usually such an active person and it's taken it's toll on my mental health!

My daughter's wedding is middle of September and my consultant said he could do my operation June 27th if my HBA1C is acceptable.

Thank you!!
Hi Valarie,

I'm not sure how to read and translate the measurements you show in your post, but I was diagnosed with type 2 last December with a HB1AC of 53 and by Feb (basically 2 months on) I was down to 44 following low carb and using Metformin. I had a pre-op later in Feb for a long needed hip replacement and again at the pre-op check in Feb it was 44 and they went ahead did my op at that level in early April. So it is possible to reduce over a short period of time.

I hope that you are able to get your levels down and get the op done. I was nervous about the op, but it was not as bad as I feared and within 6 or 7 weeks I had a level of mobility back that allowed me to drive and walk a fair distance with a stick as well as shorter distances and around the house without one, so if you are able to have it done in June you should be ok for the wedding in mid September if you were an active person and work hard on the recovery.

I wish you well.

Last edited:
Hi Valarie,

I'm not sure how to read and translate the measurements you show in your post, but I was diagnosed with type 2 last December with a HB1AC of 53 and by Feb (basically 2 months on) I was down to 44 following low carb and using Metformin. I had a pre-op later in Feb for a long needed hip replacement and again at the pre-op check in Feb it was 44 and they went ahead did my op at that level in early April.

I hope that you are able to get your levels down and get the op done. I was nervous too, but it was not as bad as I feared and within 6 or 7 weeks I had a level of mobility back that allowed me to drive and walk a fair distance with a stick as well as shorter distances and around the house without one, so if you are able to have it done in June you should be ok for the wedding in mid September if you were an active person and work hard on the recovery.

I wish you well.
I appreciate the information and that does give me hope!

Thank you so much!

Hello,

Thank you!!
Certainly - the HbA1c is skewed towards the last ten days.

I am assuming that the HbA1c results are %. If we convert the numbers you give to those we are more familiar with, 7.6% equates to about 56 mmol/mol and 6.1% equates to 43 mmol/mol. If that is correct, then one might understand that the surgeons would like you to get below the diabetes diagnosis limit of 48 mmol/mol (6.7%) but it seems to me that the requirement to get below 43 mmol/mol for surgery is remarkably conservative.

In your position I think I would be querying the basis on which that requirement was set.

I am assuming that the HbA1c results are %. If we convert the numbers you give to those we are more familiar with, 7.6% equates to about 56 mmol/mol and 6.1% equates to 43 mmol/mol. If that is correct, then one might understand that the surgeons would like you to get below the diabetes diagnosis limit of 48 mmol/mol (6.7%) but it seems to me that the requirement to get below 43 mmol/mol for surgery is remarkably conservative.

In your position I think I would be querying the basis on which that requirement was set.
I was told that my A1c had to be below 69 (8.something %) before an op in 2020.

Fingers crossed your A1c is where they want it to be @Valarie27333. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back