Hba1C question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunflowerMama

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I like to read all over the forum and learm from what people are saying.

Are there different ways that Hba1C results are given? Wheny son had his done they told us 6.5 was ideal and my son's was 6. But, I noticed people talking about theirs with really high numbers... So just wondered of there were different types or scales to show results.

6 and 6.5 are the old measurements. They changed the way it was measured some years ago. When you see people saying 49, 58, 65, etc, those are the new measurements. I’ll find a conversion chart for you in a mo’.

Oh. I wonder why they told us the old way.

I like to read all over the forum and learm from what people are saying.

Are there different ways that Hba1C results are given? Wheny son had his done they told us 6.5 was ideal and my son's was 6. But, I noticed people talking about theirs with really high numbers... So just wondered of there were different types or scales to show results.
Yes, it can be given as a percentage or in mmol/mol. It sounds like your son was given his as a percentage. The really high numbers like the ones over 100 are in mmol/mol.

Mine at diagnosis was 54 mmol/mol which would convert to 7.1

So from the above chart, you can see that your son’s 6 is 48 in the new measurements - very good 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back