Hba1c of 50

Marina2022

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I have been prediabetic for a number of years and my hba1c has usually been in the range of 43-45. I once had 48 but it was repeated and the second test came back at 45. I have an annual blood test and this time it was 50. I have a call with the surgery today. What is likely to happen next? I thought they would have repeated the blood test as it is over 48 but so far they haven't requested that. I also have a strong family history of diabetes.

I also am not sure if COVID affects the hba1c. I felt fine the day I had the blood test but 2 days later I had symptoms and tested positive for COVID.

Any advice welcome.

I have been prediabetic for a number of years and my hba1c has usually been in the range of 43-45. I once had 48 but it was repeated and the second test came back at 45. I have an annual blood test and this time it was 50. I have a call with the surgery today. What is likely to happen next? I thought they would have repeated the blood test as it is over 48 but so far they haven't requested that. I also have a strong family history of diabetes.

I also am not sure if COVID affects the hba1c. I felt fine the day I had the blood test but 2 days later I had symptoms and tested positive for COVID.

Any advice welcome.
It should not have influenced you HbA1C result as that is looking at blood glucose over the previous 3 months.
What dietary changes did you make when you had you pre-diabetes diagnosis. Hopefully you will be able to make some changes now that will help without medication but if you had already made some significant reduction in carbohydrates then medication may be indicated.
Would you like to give some examples of the meals you have and people may spot some problem foods which by cutting out or reducing portions or making substitutions for lower carb would be sufficient.
Have a look at this link for some guidance for a low carb approach which many have found successful. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
You should also be offered eye retinal screening and foot check.

Welcome to the forum @Marina2022

Your GP surgery may want to double-check your result before formally diagnosing T2 (it seems that some GPs want to double-check more than others).

If you are given a diagnosis with T2 Diabetes you will most likely be booked a follow-up appointment with the surgery nurse (or GP) who may offer you Metformin. Again some surgeries like to offer meds earlier than others. You should also have your weight, blood pressure, feet pulses, and cholesterol, and kidney function checked annually from now on. Along with annual retinal screening.

You should also be offered help to stop smoking and lose weight if appropriate.

Back