HbA1c of 28, is that a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GillyTee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
i had my annual review today and was told my HbA1c is 28 and was told by the practice nurse I had to immediately stop taking all my insulin. Strange thing, I had checked my test results and the GP had written it was normal and NFA so I did not worry, but my practice nurse was concerned and had been in touch with the diabetic team at the local hospital who said to stop taking insulin, but continue with metformin. Is there any danger in my blood sugars staying so low? I think the reason they have gone so low is that since last December I have stopped taking steroids for an eye condition, I have lost over 2st in weight, and am eating less since my husband died on October 18th.

I suspect the steroids - from what I have read they can cause high glucose levels.
My condolences for your loss - but do try to take care of yourself. Good foods can be a comfort and preparing them can be therapeutic. I suspect we in the UK are in for a cold harsh winter, and it would be wise to prepare for it, don't let yourself become run down.
The Hba1c of 28 is rather low - you could be ten points higher and still in the normal range - but you might just have got the diabetes beaten now, which is all to the good.

Is there any danger in my blood sugars staying so low?

The risk is of hypos. If you're taking insulin and your HbA1c is 28 then there's a good chance that's because you're too low for some of the time. (I think it would be usual for a non-diabetic to have a higher HbA1c.)

Hi and welcome

Firstly can I say how sorry I am for your recent loss. That will take time to come to terms with and your BG levels may be affected by that, so do keep a check on them.
To have such a low HbA1c when you are on insulin would suggest that you are hypo for quite long periods, possibly through the night whilst you are asleep if you are not having them through the day. This will lead to poor hypo awareness and put you at risk of a serious hypo where you lose consciousness.
Drugs should always be reviewed to ensure they are still appropriate and insulin is a very powerful one that you really don't want to take if you don't need to, so don't worry about it being withdrawn. It can always be reinstated if necessary, but it may be that your weight loss (which is to be greatly commended) has allowed your body to regain it's balance and your diabetes is in remission and no longer in need of such strong drugs to manage it which is a wonderful achievement.

Hello @GillyTee

Sincere condolences for your loss. My wife died at the end of October 2018, so I’m about a year ahead of you. Hope the form filling and seemingly-endless admin in the immediate aftermath hasn’t been too difficult, and that you can begin the process of grieving, and of cherishing the memories of your life together.

it sounds with the loss of weight, change of diet/appetite and stopping of steroids that you have had some significant changes which would need a significant reduction or cessation of insulin.

let us know how you get on.

HbA1c is 28
That would be low.
was told by the practice nurse I had to immediately stop taking all my insulin.
the diabetic team at the local hospital who said to stop taking insulin
Since you're taking insulin is to lower your BG, and at a result of 28 (being a type 2, still producing insulin yourself I take it), I'd guess you don't need it now.

How are you Gilly? Have you still been self testing?

An HbA1c of 28 just by itself is within a "normal" range - on the conventional translation, it corresponds to an avg BG of around 4.9. According to the benchmark data I look at, about 10% of non-diabetics have avg BG at around that level or less.

But I imagine it's lower than desirable for an insulin user - risk of hypo's.

Condolences for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back