Hba1c Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinAA

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello!!

I'm new on here and I'm sorry if I jumped in some thread.
I'm looking for some help about Hba1c and surgery.
I had my breast surgery cancelled due to a high (very high) Hba1c result almost 3 moths ago.Since then my diabetic clinic switch my humalog to Novorapid and Tresiba and I decided to go low carb.
Had a new test today and came back 70 (8.6%).
Will this levels be good enough to proceed with my operation?
They didn't set any target so I'm up in the air

Many thank's in advance

You need to ring them and ask - they are right though because the higher your A1c is in comparison to undiabetic (5.5 ish) the WORSE you will do during the operation and thereafter - high BG causes severe problems in healing and fighting off bugs (and there are a lot of bugs of all kinds in hospitals) whereas if your BG control is good, you'll heal normally and be less prone to complications.

Good luck with your op.

Hello Jenny,

Thank you so much for your answer.
I've tried to phone them and I completely understand their decision in the first place.
But was the lack of a plan and information that made me this anxious.
Even my Diabetic Team struggle to get an answer from them .
The chemotherapy itself make my bloods go sky high and and I don't know where I stand now .
It's frustrating because all I want to know is what they want.
Thank you!!

Hi @NinAA I replied to your post earlier but there was a lot of confusion last night, spam attackers were about but its nice to see you are responding to Jenny`s aka TW post. A very experienced member with a lot of knowledge, and we look to her and others for advice in difficult situations. However lets not beat about the bush your HbA1c is too high, who says so? Your surgical team, it doesn't matter what your Diabetes team says they are not looking after you once you've gone under the knife. Lets do what Jenny says and get the info you need to know what the surgeons require to enable the op to go ahead. Figures for daily Blood Sugars please, this will allow us to advise you if it is your insulin or food intake creating a problem. It would also be nice to know how long you have been a Diabetic so we are not teaching granny to suck eggs.

Hi @NinAA I replied to your post earlier but there was a lot of confusion last night, spam attackers were about but its nice to see you are responding to Jenny`s aka TW post. A very experienced member with a lot of knowledge, and we look to her and others for advice in difficult situations. However lets not beat about the bush your HbA1c is too high, who says so? Your surgical team, it doesn't matter what your Diabetes team says they are not looking after you once you've gone under the knife. Lets do what Jenny says and get the info you need to know what the surgeons require to enable the op to go ahead. Figures for daily Blood Sugars please, this will allow us to advise you if it is your insulin or food intake creating a problem. It would also be nice to know how long you have been a Diabetic so we are not teaching granny to suck eggs.
Hello Karnak!

In had my diagnose in 2014 but to be honest I'm far from knowledge like you all,just took insulin And that was it.
So this year I found a lump on my breast and boom was a bad one and needed the operation but once I had my pre assessment they said my ac1 was absurd something over 108 so my diabetic team came with the new medication and all and we.managed to get down to 70 .
But the surgeon has not been very responsive and I'm like in a limbo at the moment,having chemo.
And this waiting game is killing me that's how I found the forum and it's much more sensible talk to knowledgeable people ..
I try to contact the breast clinic again today no come back I just wanted to know if they're happy with these numbers or what's the plan?
Thank you for your response and congratulations for the excellent support you offer for us on here!

Hi Nina how are you tonight? Just making sure you will be on the phone in the morning and the afternoon or whatever time it takes, become a pain to them whether it is surgical or Diabetes team. Keep us up to date tomorrow or should I say today 🙂, take care.🙂

Hello there!

Besides the anxiety I'm doing very good ,the chemo bad effects are easing off now and I'm glad about that.
I will definitely nag them it's a shame things came to this point are I really hope things improved for the diabetic people because feels like we are punished for being a diabetic.
Thank you so much for ask and give me a bit of your time I will keep you all updated.

Have a good night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back