HbA1c is 93!

Frenetik2023

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
HI, I don't have very good control over my diabetes, i have a lot of other conditions that make it
very difficult to manage, my HbA1c is usually around 73, but this time its 93! I am very worried about this as you can imagine, but i do wonder if it is worse as I have had virus after virus, I sleep, sort of through theday with severe fatigue. i think i have had Covid again, and do have LC, my hayfever/reactions have also been appalling(many on relevant fora saying the same) and its been like the mild flu.I have suspected pancreatic disease, I also have appalling sleep patterns, also disturbed by loud traffic, etc. I am aware these can impact blood levels, but this number?

Sorry to hear you’ve been finding things extra difficult this year @Frenetik2023 :(

Do you take any medications to help you with your glucose management?

Approximately how many grams of total carbs a day do you aim for?

Sorry, i am so ill with huge amount of other conditions i juts cant do all that with carbs, nutrition, etc, , in Uk you just can't get carers either to faciliate it.

I am aware that if i do have pancreatic disease, has tests saying i have, but waiting on in depth CT scan, that this can really affect levels.

I have 2 x metformin, 2x glicazide, and 1x dapagliflozin daily

I have been asked by D/nurse to come in to see her.

Illness and injury can certainly raise your glucose levels and make it much harder to keep them in range.

Hope your checks and scans help clarify things, and you get useful support from your GP or nurse. Perhaps a med review would help?

Sorry, i am so ill with huge amount of other conditions i juts cant do all that with carbs, nutrition, etc, , in Uk you just can't get carers either to faciliate it.

I am aware that if i do have pancreatic disease, has tests saying i have, but waiting on in depth CT scan, that this can really affect levels.

I have 2 x metformin, 2x glicazide, and 1x dapagliflozin daily

I have been asked by D/nurse to come in to see her.
You are taking quite a bit of medication which one would expect to help reduce your blood glucose but unfortunately there is a limit to what they can do if you are still eating too many carbohydrates.
It is a bit like having an overflowing sink (high blood glucose) which you can bail water out of (taking medication ) but unless you turn off the tap (reduce the carbohydrates you eat) then the sink will still overflow.

Oh bless you you’re having a rough time of it. If you’re not already on it then fexofenadine tablets can be prescribed by the GP for hayfever (you can now buy it from the pharmacy but it’s expensive OTC). Mometasone (pirinase) nasal spray is also available OTC but isn’t cheap so getting that on prescription may also help. It’s a steroid nasal spray but because it’s topical it shouldn’t raise your BG like oral steroids can.

Having a chat with your diabetes nurse is a good idea. It might be more suitable for you to be on once a day insulin or other adjustments to your medication. Please don’t see it as a moral failing and being brought in to see the headteacher or anything like that. You just need a little bit of help in managing your conditions.

I hope you manage to ease your symptoms and get into a more typical sleep pattern.

You are taking quite a bit of medication which one would expect to help reduce your blood glucose but unfortunately there is a limit to what they can do if you are still eating too many carbohydrates.
It is a bit like having an overflowing sink (high blood glucose) which you can bail water out of (taking medication ) but unless you turn off the tap (reduce the carbohydrates you eat) then the sink will still overflow.
thaks , my late father had diabetes type one and just before he died(1979) he was going blind, it affected me as you can imagine and shaped my views on the condition. But, without the care i need(which i still have top pay social services for) , i can barely feed and cook at times, never mind do 'portions' etc.

Oh bless you you’re having a rough time of it. If you’re not already on it then fexofenadine tablets can be prescribed by the GP for hayfever (you can now buy it from the pharmacy but it’s expensive OTC). Mometasone (pirinase) nasal spray is also available OTC but isn’t cheap so getting that on prescription may also help. It’s a steroid nasal spray but because it’s topical it shouldn’t raise your BG like oral steroids can.

Tx, i have all them, fexo not working last two years, (as many are saying), revealing it is now OTC , maybe new ones needed

I haven't always had brilliant exeperience with D/N's, something I discusssed with the helpline, some really don't seem to have a rounded knowledge or understanding of how other conditions may impact, or think out of the box.

Back