Hba1c i dont understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

caroleann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi i just got my results back, she said hba1c is 9.9 and a1c is 85 sorry i dont have a clue what she means by the second number.:confused:
carole

hello,

It's both the same thing just in different formats.

They're currently in the process of changing the scale thats used to measure HbA1c and in the interim they are giving you both numbers, so 9.9% in the old format equals 85mmol/mol in the new format.

Think of it like temperature in degress celsius and degrees farenheit.

Have a look here:

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Professi...-and-resources/Tools/Changes-to-HbA1c-values/

NiVZ

Last edited:
From googling HbA1c it looks like there are two ways of expressing the result. One is as a percentage which is the 9.9 figure and the other way is as mmol/mol. Your percentage figure of 9.9 equates to 85 mmol/mol.

edit - NiVZ beat me to it.

Thankyou you explained that very well,dought if the doc would have taken the time to explain it to me.

To be quite honest, I'd rather have the % result.
The mmol reading always makes me think its waaaay higher then it should be.. :(

To be quite honest, I'd rather have the % result.
The mmol reading always makes me think its waaaay higher then it should be.. :(

Yes, notice that it is mmol/MOL not mmol/l (as with BG meters). Despite the fact that I have had 2 results since they introduced the new units I haven't yet been told them.

hello,

It's both the same thing just in different formats.

They're currently in the process of changing the scale thats used to measure HbA1c and in the interim they are giving you both numbers, so 9.9% in the old format equals 85mmol/l in the new format.

Think of it like temperature in degress celsius and degrees farenheit.

Have a look here:

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Professi...-and-resources/Tools/Changes-to-HbA1c-values/

NiVZ

Dear NiVZ,

Are you sure about the new units - I believe the new ones are: mmol/mol

Regards Dodger

I don't like the new system despite the fact that I have to now learn how to do it by the new system. For an old dog like (in terms of diabetes at least!) this is a new trick that frankly I don't like nor do I want to learn it. The percentage reading was much better in my opinion, that or I'm proably too long in the tooth diabeteswise! That said, I am very much a contradiction by the fact I'm going onto a pump in twenty six days!

My DSN gave me my Hb1Ac at my yearly check up last week.
Hb1Ac was 7.6 and she gave me another figure of I'm sure it was 8.9.
Will the 8.9 relate to the fasting reading on the day?

My DSN gave me my Hb1Ac at my yearly check up last week.
Hb1Ac was 7.6 and she gave me another figure of I'm sure it was 8.9.
Will the 8.9 relate to the fasting reading on the day?

It could well do. The medics don't ask for much in terms of tests on review clinic days (however it still keeps us in the Pathology labs exceptionally busy.)

Tom

Thanks Tom, sounds good to me, my fasting levels have now dropped to an average of 5.5-5.7 :D

@Dodger: Sorry - Yes the new units are mmol/mol - force of habit to type mmol/l 😉

NiVZ

I got told by the doctors I work with that by June 2011 we will only be given the % hba1c and not the normal one were all use too, the reason we are being given both at the moment is to get use to the change over :confused:

But please dont take the gp's i work with as gospel 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back