HBA1C HOW TO LOWER

Status
Not open for further replies.

msbhatti

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi All - After 3 months of wait, I have done HBA1C again and it was 40, previously it was 40 too around 3 to 4 months back.
Steps i have taken in last 3 months are
reduced weight from 87kg to 75kg. no smoking and no alcohol.
walking / excercise around 30 minutes - 5 days a week atleast.
last 2 months eating low carb and low suger - now as got too much weight loss so started having bit more carb in the morning and evening time as i was started feeling too weak.
my target is 38 for HBA1C, How can i reduced 2 points from 40 to 38 - any guidance will be appreciated.
Interestingly when I am doing fasting or 2 hour after having food blood suger reading, it's always under 100 (90 to 99) in fasting and under 130 after 2 hours of having food, not sure why HBA1C is 40.
Please guide how can I lower HBA1C (38 or lower).
Thanks

To get an HbA1c of 40 your blood sugar looks to be averaging about 120 mg/dl.

Looks like you spikes post food might be lasting a while leading to the higher HbA1c?

Maybe take some 3 and 4 hours readings to check how long you are staying at the higher levels.

Your aim for an HbA1c of 38 means your average needs to drop to around 115 mg/dl ... maybe try cutting out some more carbs?

Hi All - After 3 months of wait, I have done HBA1C again and it was 40, previously it was 40 too around 3 to 4 months back.
Steps i have taken in last 3 months are
reduced weight from 87kg to 75kg. no smoking and no alcohol.
walking / excercise around 30 minutes - 5 days a week atleast.
last 2 months eating low carb and low suger - now as got too much weight loss so started having bit more carb in the morning and evening time as i was started feeling too weak.
my target is 38 for HBA1C, How can i reduced 2 points from 40 to 38 - any guidance will be appreciated.
Interestingly when I am doing fasting or 2 hour after having food blood suger reading, it's always under 100 (90 to 99) in fasting and under 130 after 2 hours of having food, not sure why HBA1C is 40.
Please guide how can I lower HBA1C (38 or lower).
Thanks

Why 38?

Thanks a good idea.

At the moment - i only take 2 readings - fasting and 2 hour post food readings - fasting most of times is 95 and under 100.

2 hour post food is always under 130 - it was always between 120 to 130.

i will try to monitor post food 3 and 4 hours too to see the readings and will update here.

i have cut half the carbs i used to have last year and cut 80 percent suger or sugery items.

To get an HbA1c of 40 your blood sugar looks to be averaging about 120 mg/dl.

Looks like you spikes post food might be lasting a while leading to the higher HbA1c?

Maybe take some 3 and 4 hours readings to check how long you are staying at the higher levels.

Your aim for an HbA1c of 38 means your average needs to drop to around 115 mg/dl ... maybe try cutting out some more carbs?
Thanks a good idea.

At the moment - i only take 2 readings - fasting and 2 hour post food readings - fasting most of times is 95 and under 100.

2 hour post food is always under 130 - it was always between 120 to 130.

i will try to monitor post food 3 and 4 hours too to see the readings and will update here.

i have cut half the carbs i used to have last year and cut 80 percent suger or sugery items.

actually i have a feeling i am very close to prediabetic at 40 HBA1C, so initially targetting 38 HBA1C to be more in green area readings.

I aim for an average Hba1c for my age.
A difference of 2 would make no change in my chance of any complications, no negative health aspects, I don't stress not having diabetes, so long as my lifestyle works for me.

As you are quoting numbers in mg/dl I wonder if you are not in the UK because the criteria for designating prediabetes etc are different.
In the UK an HbA1C anything under 42mmol/l would be regarded as normal.

I aim for an average Hba1c for my age.
A difference of 2 would make no change in my chance of any complications, no negative health aspects, I don't stress not having diabetes, so long as my lifestyle works for me.
Thanks @travellor - i agreed 2 points would make no difference, but after lot of efforts and life style change i was expecting a bit of reversal in HBA1C test readings - when i got same readings it was bit of disappointment for me.

As you are quoting numbers in mg/dl I wonder if you are not in the UK because the criteria for designating prediabetes etc are different.
In the UK an HbA1C anything under 42mmol/l would be regarded as normal.
agreed sir, i am from UK - i mentioned 40 as close to / borderline for prediabetes.

I reduced my daily intake of carbs from 50gm to 40 gm maximum and got no reduction in my Hba1c, so I don't think that there can be a direct link between the two.
I seem to be stuck on Hba1c of 42.

I reduced my daily intake of carbs from 50gm to 40 gm maximum and got no reduction in my Hba1c, so I don't think that there can be a direct link between the two.
I seem to be stuck on Hba1c of 42.

Good luck @Drummer - i have reduced half of carbs - cant reduced more as i have started feeling weak now .. will do another test in 6 months time to see how that goes.

Good luck @Drummer - i have reduced half of carbs - cant reduced more as i have started feeling weak now .. will do another test in 6 months time to see how that goes.
Have you increased the protein and fat in your diet?
The calories from carbohydrates reduced need to be replaced, so I have two proper meals a day most of the time - some days I only eat once as I am not hungry.
I have things such as a salad with fish, steak or a chop with mushrooms or stirfry, beef stews or casseroles, mashed swede, after boiling it in a pressure cooker, and then next morning bubble and squeak with bacon or cheese - and I feel pretty good on it. I am told that my cholesterol will go sky high on such a diet - but it actually went down from where is was when I was eating lots of starchy foods and chose low fat everything.

Have you increased the protein and fat in your diet?
The calories from carbohydrates reduced need to be replaced, so I have two proper meals a day most of the time - some days I only eat once as I am not hungry.
I have things such as a salad with fish, steak or a chop with mushrooms or stirfry, beef stews or casseroles, mashed swede, after boiling it in a pressure cooker, and then next morning bubble and squeak with bacon or cheese - and I feel pretty good on it. I am told that my cholesterol will go sky high on such a diet - but it actually went down from where is was when I was eating lots of starchy foods and chose low fat everything.
Thanks for detailed reply - i actually have meals high with proteins but portion size was small. may be thats the reason i am bit of weak now.

i was having 2 meals a days low carbs and small portion of protein and salads in all meals as i was in weight loss.

your diet seems very good. thanks for sharing.

100 (90 to 99) in fasting and under 130

Just to help other forum members (in the UK mmol/L is the conventional unit of measure for blood glucose).

You can convert between the two by multiplying/dividing by 18.

100mg/dl = 5.6mmol/L
90mg/dl = 5.0mmol/L
130md/dl = 7.2mmol/L

You should feel really proud of your achievements @msbhatti

And really well done on the weight loss 🙂

At your level of glucose management, the potential reduction in risk are levelling out, so be kind to yourself, and try not to stress too much about reaching a target number down 2 points from where you are (both of which are below the UK level which indicates risk of developing diabetes for those who don’t have it). 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back