HbA1c high reading and Slimming World

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJG

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello

After taking a private blood test (through a NHS lab) as I was concerned about my thyroid levels and upgraded the test to include diabetics HbA1c. I was not aware that I could be diabetic so surprised that that result came back as 75 mmol/mol and one week later with a GP test has reduced slightly to 73 mmol/mol. In the last month I have lost 1.5 stone with Slimming World (SW) and does anyone have any suggestions lowering blood sugar levels on SW.

My SW consultant will let me have a booklet at my next weigh in and I have a doctors appointment in the next few weeks, in the meanwhile she has requested further tests on kidney function. Does anyone have any advice please.

Welcome to the forum
Brilliant on the weight loss so that should have a good impact on your blood glucose levels. Following the SW regime may well be fine as long as you are aware of the amount of carbohydrates in the meals and the 'snacks'. The way to reduce blood glucose is to reduce carbs to an amount that your body can cope with.
If your HbA1C is 75mmol/mol I suspect your doctor may want to prescribe medication which in the first instance is usually metformin but you will still need the dietary changes as well.
There are many approaches people adopt to managing blood glucose, low carb, low calorie, short term shakes based but whatever you choose has to be enjoyable and sustainable long term.
If a low carb approach is one you choose to go with then it is suggested 130g per day Total carbohydrate is a good starting point. You could look at your SW program to see how close you are to that and if it is somewhat more then you could make some swaps for some lower carb foods.
Sticking with what you are doing with perhaps some modest changes until you have another HbA1C ideally 3 months from the first one to see what effect what you have been doing would be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back