Hba1c guidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkGeordie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone know if there are guidelines about how often a diabetic type 1 can have this done on the NHS?

Nice has guidelines that gp’s are supposed to follow but often don’t I am afraid.

I only ask as I see DSN on Tuesday and was going to ask whether I could have an up to date one to see how much it has changed with all the progress I have made recently.

I am not sure what the NICE guidelines are but I am currently invited to have the HbA1C test every six months at my gp surgery. The results are usually good. I assume that is why the surgery does not get upset when I fail to arrange an appointment with the surgery based DSN.
I am also invited to an annual appointment with the endocrinologist (who seems to know more about Type 1 that the GP surgery DSN) who suggests another HbA1C but as it is often within a month of the gp surgery test I see little value.

I usually get the test at the GP surgery which is usually once per year, I see the DSN and she never offers and the consultant I usually see once a year, however think mine is now overdue as my trust have had issues with recruiting for that speciality.

At my first consultant appointment following diagnosis - 2.5 months after I was diagnosed - he told me it needed to be at least 3 months between tests to see a difference. I was diagnosed from a blood test picking up a high HbA1c, so I just waited a few more weeks and got it done at the GP. So I guess every six months would not be unreasonable. 🙂

@MarkGeordie - if it is helpful here is a link to the NICE guideline

From the link:

Your HbA1c should be tested every 3 to 6 months. It might be done more often if your blood glucose levels are changing quickly. You should be told your HbA1c result after each test.

Where my diabetes had been just pootling along and an annual review seemed all that was needed 12-monthly updates have been the maximum, but a lot happens in a year... so 6 monthly is more usual for me in recent years,

I managed to persuade the DSN to do one and the results are back. It was 56 which is great for me.

Previous -
Dec 2020 - 69
Jan 2023 - 92
Now - 56

It’s heading in the right direction.

Congratulations on a much improved result. So pleased for you! Well done!

I was told 3 months ( I'm newly diagnosed) ad that's how long the red blood cells take to renew, well done that's a great result, can you share what you've done?!

Thanks everyone.

I started by keeping a two week food diary, using an app, this let me identify the amount of carbs I was eating on average daily and also my average daily calorie intake. This shocked me.

I used this to set healthy targets, so I now aim for less than what I was eating, but I don’t starve myself and I don’t feel hungry.

I introduced a workout using a YouTube video 3 times per week. I still do this.

I added in a ride on my exercise bike daily and gradually increased the length. I now do about 22 minutes daily. Increasing week by week.

I don’t monitor my steps but I try and do more walking, for me this meant, spending some of my lunch break going for a walk, if I was travelling on a bus I got off the stop before and walked the rest, little things like this add up.

My background insulin has reduced from 50 units to 20 units.

My hba1c is massively improved as reported above.

I’m nearly at the 1 1/2 stone weight loss point.

I plan to treat myself a little bit in a few weeks time for my birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back