HbA1c Due next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacinta (Australian)

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello lovelies , sorry if I haven’t been around much work has me running off my feet like a crazy person .

I have a hba1c blood test coming up next Wednesday as that is my only day off, I’m pretty sure it’s the 2 hour one I hate drinking the sweet stuff . But secretly I hope it’s only taking bloods . I’m hoping to book in an Telehealth appointment so I know where I’ll be sitting with my hba1c once it arrives back and see if I need to go back up to 1000mg or still be sitting at 500mg of metrofirm (can’t spell it) .

Forward and upwards as they say.

Glad to have you back, Jacinta!

I find it a bit daunting to get my bloods done but it's good to know how things are progressing.

Hopefully you get the results you're looking for, keep us posted!

Hello lovelies , sorry if I haven’t been around much work has me running off my feet like a crazy person .

I have a hba1c blood test coming up next Wednesday as that is my only day off, I’m pretty sure it’s the 2 hour one I hate drinking the sweet stuff . But secretly I hope it’s only taking bloods . I’m hoping to book in an Telehealth appointment so I know where I’ll be sitting with my hba1c once it arrives back and see if I need to go back up to 1000mg or still be sitting at 500mg of metrofirm (can’t spell it) .

Forward and upwards as they say.
Good luck

good luck with it 🙂

So I ended up doing it yesterday and now I wait until next Wednesday and see if it’s come through or not .

Can I just ask a question : is it bad for a type 2 diabetic not to eat food ??? Especially when there not hungry ??

Although no longer officially a type 2, I am very rarely hungry and tend to eat small amounts anyway.
I have found, over the last year or so that my appetite reduced - I adjusted my daily intake down to try to keep to two meals a day, but sometimes a meal was a few ounces of meat or fish or a couple of eggs.
It seems to have been a good choice.
I have had people tell me that I can't possibly be eating so little - or that I must be binging - but I am just so used to accusations of being untruthful about what I eat I just shrug.

Although no longer officially a type 2, I am very rarely hungry and tend to eat small amounts anyway.
I have found, over the last year or so that my appetite reduced - I adjusted my daily intake down to try to keep to two meals a day, but sometimes a meal was a few ounces of meat or fish or a couple of eggs.
It seems to have been a good choice.
I have had people tell me that I can't possibly be eating so little - or that I must be binging - but I am just so used to accusations of being untruthful about what I eat I just shrug.
I know I’m in normal range and my hunger isn’t there , like I’ll eat a big breakfast that usually lasts me until lunch time but for some reason I just don’t feel hungry like sometimes all I can manage is an hard boiled egg or 2 and that’s it . Last night I wasn’t hungry for dinner at all so I didn’t eat anything but is that okay to do ???
Because when I know I go to work I eat something before I go and I won’t be hungry until after I finish but my diabetic/ weight loss nurse is basically saying being a diabetic I have to eat to hunger and event take snacks to work but I don’t see the point if I’m not hungry . Ohhh I’ve had that before where people basically say to me if we are out somewhere that I should be eating even though I just opt for an almond milk no sugar latte as again I’m not hungry . Like I try and eat and my body is telling me otherwise like it’s saying : I’m not hungry why are you fuelling me with food for . But then most people try there hardest to tell me off for it . I can’t help that if I’m not hungry then I should listen to myself . I’m not sure if it’s okay as being a diabetic ?? The reason why I’m asking you guys is because my nurse basically telling me I need to eat at work and I need to eat breakfast , lunch and dinner even if it’s small ? I just don’t know , I’m at that stage now where I just don’t want to eat , I drink a lot of water and that also keeps me going but yeah I’m confused on what to do , to be honest .!

I would say if you are not taking insulin you do not need to eat if you are not hungry, when I was at work I would have breakfast at 7.30 am and if I was busy wouldn't even notice that it was way past lunch time and wouldn't then have anything until 8pm when I had dinner.

I would say if you are not taking insulin you do not need to eat if you are not hungry, when I was at work I would have breakfast at 7.30 am and if I was busy wouldn't even notice that it was way past lunch time and wouldn't then have anything until 8pm when I had dinner.
I defianetly don’t take insulin I’m only on tablets .
Sometimes I Don’t realise that I’m not hungry at all unless my stomach grumbles at me then I only drink water until I get around to eat dinner .

Some peeps do intermittent fasting and regularly miss meals.
Most fasting diets are full of healthy fats and proteins which keep you feeling full and give you plenty of energy.
Guess I'm just saying there is a good way to do it 😉

(from my understanding)
Metformin gets your liver to chill out a bit with the whole spamming of the sugars into your blood and helps the insulin your body does put out there to work better. It doesn't make your body produce extra or add any insulin which is what usually can cause low blood sugars (hypos) which is where the blanket statement of diabetics shouldn't skip meals comes from.

Saying a T2 shouldn't skip meals is correct for some, and incorrect for others, depends on their treatment.
Saying anyone shouldn't skip meals, that depends on the nutrients in meals they do eat when they eat.

Let us know how your results are 🙂

It isn't worth the effort to argue against what is so set in people's minds.
I'd just shrug and ignore them - though if they keep on, ask what is going to happen if you don't eat and see if they can think up something which even sounds sensible at the time.

Reactions: gll
If you are eating low calorie, even then you do need to eat enough to maintain the weight you want to be.

Some peeps do intermittent fasting and regularly miss meals.
Most fasting diets are full of healthy fats and proteins which keep you feeling full and give you plenty of energy.
Guess I'm just saying there is a good way to do it 😉

(from my understanding)
Metformin gets your liver to chill out a bit with the whole spamming of the sugars into your blood and helps the insulin your body does put out there to work better. It doesn't make your body produce extra or add any insulin which is what usually can cause low blood sugars (hypos) which is where the blanket statement of diabetics shouldn't skip meals comes from.

Saying a T2 shouldn't skip meals is correct for some, and incorrect for others, depends on their treatment.
Saying anyone shouldn't skip meals, that depends on the nutrients in meals they do eat when they eat.

Let us know how your results are 🙂
Thankyou for that advice gll, since being on low carb I feel amazing , I’m not hungry as I use to be before getting told I’m a diabetic. I eat proteins and healthy fats that make me stay full for a long time so I’m guessing it hits the spot to the point I just don’t want to eat all the time .

It isn't worth the effort to argue against what is so set in people's minds.
I'd just shrug and ignore them - though if they keep on, ask what is going to happen if you don't eat and see if they can think up something which even sounds sensible at the time.
Fortunately for me not many people know but I’m kinda surprised they haven’t picked up seeing as I don’t order pasta or burger with buns or potato chips when we’re out eating especially chicken Parmis (bread crumbs on it) . Cause I usually order any of those but I ordered steak and salad .

So I ended up doing it yesterday and now I wait until next Wednesday and see if it’s come through or not .

Can I just ask a question : is it bad for a type 2 diabetic not to eat food ??? Especially when there not hungry ??
The question is a bit broad because it depends on the circumstances. The best way to answer it could be to test occasionally during long periods of fasting to see if your body is reacting either by dropping to low blood glucose levels or conversely going high by releasing glycogen to counter the fast. If neither occurs there is no real problem. If low or high a small snack or meal might be needed.

Incidentally, by now I presume you found that the A1c is an ordinary blood test and not the same as an OGTT, the test where you drink a load of carbs and get tested over two hours.

A liver dump is a perfectly normal response.
Use the glucose released, but hopefully your body will start to respond and use the glucose as your weight loss improves your insulin resistance.
Building muscle though exercise greatly improves this.
You will also find your liver dump will respond to your decreasing hba1c as your body adjusts to a lower BG overall.
So intially it will trigger to keep you higher, but as your overall hba1c improves, the trigger point will lower.
Eating snacks runs counter to this.

A liver dump is a perfectly normal response.
Use the glucose released, but hopefully your body will start to respond and use the glucose as your weight loss improves your insulin resistance.
Building muscle though exercise greatly improves this.
You will also find your liver dump will respond to your decreasing hba1c as your body adjusts to a lower BG overall.
So intially it will trigger to keep you higher, but as your overall hba1c improves, the trigger point will lower.
Eating snacks runs counter to this.
Thankyou for that travellor for the information I have truely appericate it a lot .

hba1c update
So I just got called from my doctor ,
My hba1c level is 5.2 (can’t remember what the number is for that) , and my fasting levels is 4.6 .

So my doctor that called is over the moon with that . And too keep taking my medication . That makes me super duper over the moon happy .

Apparently my pancreas is all good too from what my doctor has told me . Which is great aswell . I’m happy with the result .

hba1c update
So I just got called from my doctor ,
My hba1c level is 5.2 (can’t remember what the number is for that) , and my fasting levels is 4.6 .

So my doctor that called is over the moon with that . And too keep taking my medication . That makes me super duper over the moon happy .

Apparently my pancreas is all good too from what my doctor has told me . Which is great aswell . I’m happy with the result .
Excellent! Completely "normal" numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back