Hba1c and surgery dilemma

Is it possible to get my hba1c below 42?

• Not sure what to type here

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure what to type here

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.koyes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone, my name is Abdul koyes and I've been type 2 diabetic 10yrs. So I started eating healthy and exercising and to be honest I was as fit as ever. Early last year my left knee started to hurt so gave up running and as chef who spends 10hours a day, 6 days a week I couldn't risk injuring myself. 2 months ago whilst sitting on the floor I locked my left knee and went to hosptal, they did an MRI scan and said I need surgery. I had a pre op and results showed my hba1c was 76 and cancelled it, surgeon needs it to be under 42. Is that even possible for a diabetic?

Yes it is possible Abdul. What medication do you take? Have you cut down the amount of carbohydrate you consume?

Hello @A.koyes

Are you able to test your own blood sugar with a glucose meter or do you rely on HbA1c tests every 3/6 months at your gp surgery? Do you know what your previous HbA1c results have been?

It is as Jenny says possible to achieve an HbA1c of 42 which converts to an average blood sugar finger prick test on a meter of 7 mmol/L. Your HbA1c test result of 76 converts to an average finger prick test of 11.9 mmol/L. High glucose levels makes healing from surgery take longer and infection and other risks are also higher. What advice have you been given to try and get your glucose lower? Have you got a diabetes nurse at your surgery who you can see?

Let us know what medication- if any- you take.

Last edited:
Yes it is possible Abdul. What medication do you take? Have you cut down the amount of carbohydrate you
metformin+sitagliptin 1g/50mg
Yes it is possible Abdul. What medication do you take? Have you cut down the amount of carbohydrate you consume?
Canagliflozin 100mg
metformin+sitagliptin 1g/50mg
Yes cut down on all carbs and anything with sugar about a week now. But I've been constantly tired since then. I think my bodies still adjusting to the new diet

Hello @A.koyes

Are you able to test your own blood sugar with a glucose meter or do you rely on HbA1c tests every 3/6 months at your gp surgery? Do you know what your previous HbA1c results have been?

It is as Jenny says possible to achieve an HbA1c of 42 which converts to an average blood sugar finger prick test on a meter of 7 mmol/L. Your HbA1c test result of 76 converts to an average finger prick test of 11.9 mmol/L. High glucose levels makes healing from surgery take longer and infection and other risks are also higher. What advice have you been given to try and get your glucose lower? Have you got a diabetes nurse at your surgery who you can see?

Let us know what medication- if any- you take.
I have a monitor at home and have been monitoring my bloods 5 times a day past week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back