Hb1ac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzie60

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi can anyone please give me an answer to this question a lady on fb said that at her last hb1ac she had a reading of 6.1 but at my last reading I had a reading of 48 we both live in the UK so why would her readings be the same as a finger prick reading I was told by my diabetic nurse that 42-47 is pre diabetic 48 & above is diabetic

Hi can anyone please give me an answer to this question a lady on fb said that at her last hb1ac she had a reading of 6.1 but at my last reading I had a reading of 48 we both live in the UK so why would her readings be the same as a finger prick reading I was told by my diabetic nurse that 42-47 is pre diabetic 48 & above is diabetic
Different ways of reporting Hba1c levels - different units, but they are confusing so best made really clear what is being shown.

Thank you Drummer So is there a way of converting her reading to the same way mine is showing

The 6 is most likely a % which is the old way of expressing the result but now it should be in mmol/mol which is how yours has been given.
It was changed I believe to avoid confusion with results from finger prick testing which is in mmol/l and is similar to what the % numbers would be.

Thank you Drummer So is there a way of converting her reading to the same way mine is showing

This pic might be useful:

1682715818866.png

HbA1c of 6% in old-style is the same as 42 mmol/mol nowadays-style, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back