HB1AC test how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJN123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just wondered, how often do people get tested? I was diagnosed in April and haven’t had an NHS test since. I did have two private once in connection with surgery in June and July.
I feel like I am doing well - have changes my diet and lost a good amount of weight, so not worried, but it would be nice to track.
Thanks!

Depends to an extent what your HbA1c was on diagnosisi & meds, if any, you're on. If your attempting dietary/exercise only initially & the HbA1c wasn't very high, then 6 monthly is typical. But a glucose meter would be of far more benefit in determining what foods you tolerate well.

I am on metformin, gliclazide and sitagliptin. At diagnosis I was 68, and the two private ones showed 80 and 82 just weeks later (I have a lot of medical issues and take multiple medications, all of which can cause blood sugar complications). I do use a blood glucose meter, and everything seems fine. I’d just like to work towards dropping some medications, and I guess consistenly lowered HB1AC will be key to that.

Following diagnosis then 3 months for another test and if things are going in the right direction then after another 6 months to check that is being maintained. It would then be every year after that.
That is what should happen but sometimes doesn't, either because people are not proactive at requesting the tests and going for the tests or 'surgery' policy is for less frequent.
I saw something recently that in my health authority 25% of people fail to have their annual diabetic tests.

On those meds I'd have wanted a three month review, so I'd suggest pushing for one with your surgery.

Although I'm struggling to reconcile a significant increase in HbA1c in June/July with "everything seems fine". How often are you testing & what sort of results are you getting?

Ah yes, it is all a bit complicated. I was only on metformin till July and was recommended no diet changes as I was gearing up for major surgery endocrine surgery. After surgery I trialled a Libre, adjusted diet and was given the two additional medications. Now doing regular manual readings which have not been outside 4.5-7 for the past 8 weeks. Hence I feel the medications + changes are doing the trick.

Oh and to add. They all assumed I’d be a type 1 as I had no risk factors for T2 and had been through 2 years of immunotherapy for cancer - hence also the recommendations to just stay put till after surgery.

During the early times living with T2, checks every three months is pretty usual. Your Gp will have been informed of your private results, so he may be counting those as "done".

Thanks all. I’ll ask my oncologists to add it into my next blood panel in a month’s time. Might as well get it all in one go… Just wanted to check what was “normal”.

Hooray! Just had my HB1AC back - 39 mmol. I suspected it would go down, but from 80 mmol in July this is a relief. Clearly on the right path!

@RJN123 well done, what a great result!

brilliant

Congratulations on a really fantastic result. Good luck with reducing the medication now, if that is your goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back