Hayfever and Type 2

Cheltonian31

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
This is my first summer after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in September last year. I do a finger prick blood glucose check every morning, on waking up. Since January my readings have averaged 5.4, but in the last 4 weeks the average has risen to 6.0. Diet, weight and general health are unchanged but I have been taking antihistamine tablets for relatively mild hay-fever.
Does anyone have any insight into whether the pollen season, or the tablets taken to medicate for hay-fever, could cause this small but clear and persistent rise in my morning averages.
Thanks

1719936122679.png
See; https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1043661816305953

Google 'Histamine Diabetes' and take your pick. I see the brain sometimes triggers an 'excess histamine dump' in the small hours, possibly contributing to the Morning Dawn phenomenon. Some articles advocate a low histamine diet in the summer. Makes sense, one for the sneezers in our family to consider.

Attachments

• 1719935969655.png
    1719935969655.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'm no expert so I might not be 100% with the mechanisms, but if you suffer from hayfever your immune system is effectively going into overdrive. This uses energy so the body will dump glucose from your fat stores to fight "the infection" causing your blood sugars to spike.

Seems perfectly possible @craigers - Illness and injury are fairly well known for raising BG levels, and hayfever does seem to be the body/metabolism responding to a perceived ‘attack’?

Back